Latest News: Forums Technical Old Highfield Lever on New Selden Mast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR

After a bit of storm last year, I now have a new Selden mast and am in the process of scavaging bit and pieces off the old mast on to my new mast. As luck would have it the retaining screws from the highfield lever will not fit in the sail groove of the new mast. ie screws = ~ 4mm and the sail groove ~ 3mm. has anyone else had this problems and if so how did you resolve it. Also what possible reason do you think there is for selling a mast for ~ £1000 without cleats to tie off the halyards to?

Many thanks for your responses

Buttercup

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

£1000, Whats it made of, GOLD!!

Now you have got the mast and spent your money,your not want to be asked why it cost that much ?????????

If the screws you have are the type that have a slotted head, then a thinner plain shaft and then the thread at the end you maybe in luck.

The plain slotted part would go up the luff groove with the clamp on the threaded part in the area behind that !

You would have to slide that plain part of the screw, up or down from the sail entry slot from the top or the mast foot from the bottom.

If they are threaded screws then just tap them into the luff groove with clamps behind.

Any Help?

CP

Hi Colin

Yes I Know what you mean – it seemed a bit expensive to me also – but the kind man from the insurance co arranged it all so I did’nt worry that much.

Many thanks for your suggestion – sorry I did’nt reply sooner – but away with family on half term duties etc etc.

I think I get your drift and it is a sensible way to address the problem. However the fixed goosneck lies between the sail groove and where I need to fix the highfield lever. so I can’t slide it down from the top, Alos the foot of the mast is rivetted in so I ca’t come up from the bottom.

Have I missed something and am I making things difficult for myself?

Best Regards

Swiebertje
    Participant

Carefully drill the head off the rivets and the foots comes out. When you are done re-rivet with aluminium rivets or use self threaders. The rivets are not a critical part. The only function of the rivets (or screws) is to prevent the foot from falling out if the mast is taken from the boat. Once the mast is stepped they serve no purpose. The compression on the mast will hold the foot in place even without rivets or screws.

BTW, discover the advantage of self threaders in the foot when a halyard breaks or decides to disappear inside the mast and you are far away from the nearest drill. 👿 A self threader can be loosened and fastened with many objects if a screw driver is not available. (Swiss army knife, the end of the joy stick, the lid of a beer can. Just don’t use a cross-head).

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Have to diagree with the rivet theory Bert on the new mast, the heel is not like the old mast and shaped the same as the section.
    The new masts have a round plug into the mast and without the rivets or screws, which are much better for the reasons you gave the mast can swivel about the heel when you gybe or do other manoeuvers.
    Buttercup, I have seen a highfield lever on the capping next to the centreboard which also has the effect of pulling the mast back to the stop in the mast heel track.

C P

Swiebertje
    Participant

I thought there was a notch in the round part that fitted in the adapter and prevented the mast turning? I guess you are right.

Anyway, If you are considering putting the highfield lever on the CB box, why not go for a simple cascade purchase system? Such a system with three simple blocks and a cleat allows adjusting while sailing and there is no need for the crew to hang from the bow pulling the stay as is the case with the lever. Most important, a cascade purchase is much nicer on the fingers.

On my old boat the highfield lever was the first thing replaced after I had been cursing it for a full 15 minutes while the blood was dripping from the mast. 👿

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.