Latest News: Forums Technical Old gold mast halyard sheaves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Paul K

Does anyone have any old gold mast halyard sheaves or have any clever solution for replacing them. I have read Mike Smith’s excellent guide but sadly Seamark Nunn don’t stock replacements.
    (I have tried to attach a photograph, but system won’t allow pdf’s.)

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Would I be right in thinking that your halyards go down the luff groove on your mast? Not inside the mast?

How about taking out the sheave box and replacing it with a pair of pulleys rivetted to the flat section at the front of the luff groove.

If your genoa halyard is wire, then maybe turn the highfield lever up the other way, shorten the halyard and not use a turning sheave.

C P

Paul K

@Paul K wrote:

Does anyone have any old gold mast halyard sheaves or have any clever solution for replacing them. I have read Mike Smith’s excellent guide but sadly Seamark Nunn don’t stock replacements.
    (I have tried to attach a photograph, but system won’t allow pdf’s.)

Thanks for that suggestion. I have actually now found a solution that involves fitting a replacement twin sheave unit that is almost the same and only requires some hole drilling through it’s sides to be then rivetted back into the old sheave unit’s position. This unit is by called ‘Sheave Box Double’ by Selden and costs about 30 quid. Thanks anyway Colin, much appreciated.

Ben

Hi,
    I’ve just sorted out this very problem. I initially sourced what I was told would be a direct replacement. It wasn’t! Back it went and out came the old, totally seized and corroded block (carefully drill out the rivets). Then punch out the pin from the block. Then free up, clean and grease and reassemble. The block went back in with a stainless bolt right through the mast and block at the top and two cut down brass machine screws in at the bottom, tightened against spring washers.
    I’ve done about 8 hours sailing on it now with full tension on the jib with no problems. Hope this helps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.