• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Where do you get standard galvanised rowlock sockets?

Some galvanised rowlocks came with the 8 feet oars I bought second hand, but on my boat I have Holt’s plastic sockets, which are much bigger diameter. I drilled out a couple of wine corks (10 mm) to take the galvanised rowlocks, and the corks fit the Holt Allen socket reasonably well, but aren’t that tough. I think any prolonged rowing would need replacement corks (which I carry) but it doesn’t seem quite the right solution longer term …

By the way, would anybody care to suggest a price for second hand straight 8 foot oars? The guy I bought them from left me to choose a price, and I am a bit concerned I picked a price that is too low (although he accepted it …).

Also, even if you can learn to scull in an hour, how do you learn? It’s a skill I have fancied acquiring for a very long time, but wouldn’t know where to begin (other than a place for the oar over the transom).

QW7265

I joined the sea scouts and got my ‘sculling over the stern” badge.
    Gordon’s right it’s like riding a bike – once you have got the knack it’s with you for life. The best way is to spend 5 mins with someone to show you.
    Found a link that may help: http://www.jesterinfo.org/howtoscull.html

Galvanised boat fittings are usually found in chandlers who sell to fishermen and other non-yachtie types.

Learning to scull is simple once you have seen it done. Mark on side of the oar blade. This mark should always be visible.

The scull should lie in the rowlock so that not all of the blade is immerged, the oar at roughly 45° to the water surface. The blade should be at a 45° angle with the mark visible. Displace the blade horizontally then turn it so that it is at 45°on the other side (mark still visible). Repeat…

Not easy to describe – I’ll try and find a description.

Gordon

matoi

@Swiebertje wrote:

Did you ever wander why the “no motor” purists always seem to carry a long tow line?

I was just going throu some old photos, and this one reminded me of why it is important to carry a long towing line – you might run into a guy in the Zodiac with a broken outboard and help him get back to the marina 🙂

Best regards,

Mato

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought a pair of 8ft oars (2.4m) from Gael Force Marine. They were ab out £20 each. They also supply galvinised rowlocks and plates from £3.99 – £7.99 dependent on size.

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s very helpful information, thank you.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.