Latest News: Forums Introductions New W on the Ribble

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Algol

Hi there, a new W owner here. I recently bought a 1986 MkII GRP and am based on the Ribble at Lytham where we now have 3 Wayfarers. I’m setting the boat up for handicap racing against other classes (plans to set up a pump cleat halyard system first) but also have ambitions to cruise it, initially exploring the river here.

Any local W owners out there?

bigal

Pump action for the spi I assume – if so a lifetime of adjustment .

Ian Porter refuses to fit them -Kevin Gibb revolted !!

Algol

Noted.

But surely all there is to adjust is the shockcord?

A club-mate has it on his Fireball. I’ll see what his experience is.

I figured it’d be a good idea on the W because of the lack of chute, so getting it up more quickly

bigal

In my experience you need to adjust the shockcord after every launch-mine only worked first time per race ! Yet Fireballs at Shoreham have them working well !

Swiebertje
    Participant

Build a 2:1 purchase inside the mast with a single block. That should hoist the spi just as fast as pumping system. A simpler system means less parts that can fail.

Algol

@bigal wrote:

In my experience you need to adjust the shockcord after every launch-mine only worked first time per race ! Yet Fireballs at Shoreham have them working well !

What did you have to adjust exactly?

How long a run did you have? I was reckoning – at this planning stage – of having the shockcord running to the front of the boat then to the back and right round to the front on the other side

bigal

Mine eventually went up the stb side of the boat three times before I threw it out !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.