Latest News: Forums Technical New Sails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    gpsmout

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a supplier for a set of new sails. I was thinking of trying Trident in Newcastle.

Alternatively if anyone has an old, but good condition set I’d be interested for cruising purposes.

Also , is it best to have sailhead bouyancy built in for an older boat? Mine is 1964.

best wishes

Graham Smout

W918

Anonymous
    Inactive

I and several others I know bought McNamaras and never regretted the expense.
    With a woodie, no need for sailhead bouyancy. They don’t invert.

gpsmout

Thanks

I will get a quote and see if its in my budget;
    and thanks for the inversion advice! (yet to try capsize in W918)

Graham

Tonym

does anyone have a web site address for McNamaras ?

if several forum users have purchased, what sort of price range would a new main cost, roughly ?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.mcnamara-sails.co.uk
    Are you sitting down?
    I guess about £450 – £500 for a main. My last set lasted 12 years and I sold them afterwards.

gpsmout

Hi

Michael Mac does have a web site ;http://www.mcnamara-sails.co.uk/ but it tells you not a lot as its under construction! So phone him on 01692 584186 or email via link on the site.

He is very helpful and he can deliver! Other makers were giving me up to 3 months lead time, or saying things like, “oho well I suppose I could get around to it 2 or 3 weeks if its not too busy”, which doesn’t inspire confidence. So I did order a set from him and yes it was at some cost. But not that much more than other sail makers when you work it out. A lot of sail makers say they can do a set for under £500, yet I found but when you add VAT, carriage, reefs, wire luff, choose a genoa rather than a jib then the price starts creeping up. He also includes sail number, a bag and delivery which is often an extra. So I paid less than a £100 more than the real price of the cheapest in the end, and I ended up with a cruising set from him at £750, but I am very, very pleased with them, I would say they are worth every penny, having used them at the Ullswater gathering this week and got my rig tension nearly right, (thanks to the two Bobs!) it looks like they may last a long time.

Graham

Tonym

good feedback – thanks chaps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi I would recomend EDGE in Coventry
    as per advert in wayfarer news page 9 spring issue certinaly better value for money than mc namara
    very pleased with mine
    mike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.