Latest News: Forums Cruising New mainsail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    David8065

I’m looking to buy a cruising mainsail, my current one really is no longer fit for purpose.
    An internet search reveals that prices vary quite widely (Edge under £300 to P&B about £500). I’d be interested in any recent experience or tips that people may have to share before I just plump blindly for a middle of the road option.

Thanks for your thoughts

Swiebertje
    Participant

Have you checked the classifieds?

Hi, I purchased new cruising sails from Edge sails 2 years ago and have been very happy with them.
    Vince
    W7584

thegus

I bought a Rooster sails cruising sails last year to match an upgraded boom last year. It’s actually the first new sail I have ever owned. Biggest difference over an old tired sail is the responsiveness of the outhaul. Was a bit worried to discover the foot rope is actually elasticated – will it still be springy in 10 years time?

It appears very well made and is a joy to sail with though. Decided to buy it after pricing the addition of reefing lines – was quoted £75 plus VAT per row. Spending that much on an old McNamara racing sail felt like throwing good money after bad, so I think it was a good decision in spite of not having a choice about the depth of the reefs.

Angus C

tempest51

Very happy with the quality of my Hyde sails that I bought from Hartleys a couple of years ago, then they changed supplier to Jeckylls (there’s a joke there somewhere), hopefully not monstrously more expensive than my Hyde’s? Ahhhhwooooooo!

Hoggy

That made me giggle , cheers.

Hoggy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely recommend Edge sails – very good quality and extremely well priced and made in England ! Have had ours for a full season and still look like new and vastly outperform the old cruising sails we had.

John1162

I have had my McNamara sails for 4 years and used them a lot in testing winds. They are still good and do not apear to have stretched. They still set well and are very controlable with the cunningham and outhaul. They are at the higher end of the price range but when I ordered my sails I was asked about the type of sailing I do, My crew and helm weight, where I wanted reefing points, what life I expected out of them. All this is in with the price. Mike then made a bespoke set of sails for me. A case of you get what you pay for.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.