Latest News: Forums General New main halyard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Tringa

I store the mast from my Wayfarer Mk2 in the cellar when not in use and mice have chewed enough of the main halyard that I don’t think it would be safe to use anymore.

It is still complete and in the mast, just a bit gnawed.

Does anyone have any tips for the easiest way to thread a new halyard into the mast?

TIA

Swiebertje
    Participant

Use the old one to pull the new one in?

Assuming you are referring to a Dyneema halyard (I don’t suppose mice chew on stainless steel) use some whipping twine and a needle to sew them temporary together. Some gaffer tape may help to smooth the joint over the sheaves. Make sure to buy a too long halyard so you can cut off a few inch every year to avoid wear at the sheave locations when hoisted. Some people use tape only, I assume they use a long stretch of tape to ensure not to loose the new halyard in the process?

Tringa

Thanks Swe

Hi

having seen people trying to re-thread halyards, my advise would be don’t skimp on the stitches but we also leave a bit of a gap between the ends to make the join flexible enough to get round those corners then we tape as well

takes more time in preparation than in actually threading, but so far we have always done the job and said “easy”

Tringa

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.