Latest News: Forums Technical New Idea’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • AUTHOR

It appears that the issue of weighing (or not weighing) the front benches is one for the SWS and their interpretation of the various rules! It seems that if a boat from the SWS raced in another area (weymouth for example!) they would have to include the front benches when being weighed and race with them in place.

I dont believe that the weight rule should be altered – it cant be, without disadvantaging the entire current fleet. The Hartley’s have done great work in building a boat, to minimum weight in the current rules and to alter this would in my view be a backward step. I am the first to agree that the Wayfarer is a big heavy boat, but it is a big heavy boat for everyone and for all Marks of the boat! People use different spars, control lines, fittings, all of which are a small proportion of the all up racing weight and are generally excluded from the measured weight. The ability to move, alter and use different fittings, control lines and layout is one of the delights of the class, allowing twaekers like me the ability to dream up all sort of silly ways of controlling the rig (none of which ever see the light of day!). There is a rule governing the weight of the mast extrusion. The weight difference between the lightest and heaviest crews in the UK nationals this year was over 25kg – How many classes would have that variation! You wouldnt get it in a lighter boat. Having a carbon pole will not really offer an advantage due to its light weight, the advantage will be in the ease of handling from the crew, resulting in more efficient hoists, gybes and drops. I would not be against a ccarbon pole, if the cost was similar to an alu pole.

I am a great believer that we all lose huge distances due to poor tacks and gybes, poor mark roundings, poor starts, bad tactics and strategy, and that any loss due to a minor chip out of a rudder, or a small weight advantage due to the latest super duper titanium blocks is negligible! Does anyone ever sail the perfect race?

Trevor
    Hofreki
    W10686

Trevor

As I understand it, the suggestion was that we should change the weight rule to keep the boats the same weight, and prevent anyone gaining from a lighter boat by reducing the weighed of the many unweighed components we currently have. It would also ensure that all boats racing are actually the same weight, which is not the situation at present, and so make racing fairer for everyone.

By including that boat and all it’s equipment in the weighing, rather than just the hull, there would be no possibility of an arms race to reduce the boat’s weight if carbon poles were accepted. If the ‘new’ weight is chosen carefully, is no reason it should out-class any boats, new or otherwise. It would actually allow boats that are currently over weight to get closer to, or reach minimum weight.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Its good you like the sound of the Carbon Pole idea and see it for what I suggested it for, lighter in weight to use for the crew and not for getting the boat under weight.

I will be asking around for some costings and weights in the near future !

As for the pin,thanks for the views, its good to have more info from other perspectives and maybe its time to look more deeply into the rule wording and the timing to put any rule changes to the class.

CP

I had a look at costs of carbon poles. A complete off the shelf GP14 pole (6inches shorter than the wayfarer one) costs about £200 from P&B.

http://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=38217&cg=13&mc=142&cct=7&sc=903

If you wanted to just buy the tubing and use the fittings from an existing pole, a DIY pole would cost about £100.

Comparing to the costs of other fittings which are accepted in the class (jib furling/ reefing systems, mainsheet ratchet jammers, jib fairlead tracks and jammers….) carbon poles do not look praticularly extravagant.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Been there, done that, was it the AGM of 2003 or maybe 2004? I think I can pretty well predict what the members are going to vote, don’t waste too much of your energy on it.

A carbon pole for a Wayfarer still is more then twice as expensive as its alloy counterpart, enough reason to ban carbon for the time being IMHO. Keeping the Wayfarer affordable has always been an important motive for members to vote against carbon spars. The Wayfarer already is an expensive boat compared to some of her competitors. If you always want the latest and greatest, and you the have money to spend, you are in the wrong class.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I like the fleet i’m in thanks Bert and as you say, Carbon RIGS were talked about eight years ago but things have moved on a lot since then, including the Wayfarer.

I am only talking about the spi pole, not the rig, I would not support that in this class.

If you dont want one, don’t buy one!!

As for wanting more costly items for my boat, think of it another way!

New items cost more yes but as many of us have done, improving your boat for yourself and making it possable for others to use and enjoy there boat has gone on for more than fifty years in this class, thats why its still here and others are not!!!

Having now just found out the timeing of any proposition it looks like I cannot put this forward for another year.

CP

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.