Latest News: Forums General New Gooseneck

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Davesp

Just lost the gooseneck fitting from my MkII. Anyone know the fastest postal service for a replacement? The spars are Proctor. Would it be best to go direct?

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://www.sailboats.co.uk – very fast and efficient.

Davesp

Hi.

I’m (still!) on the look out for a sliding gooseneck fitting for a Proctor metal mast on a wayfarer MkII dingy but I didn’t have any luck. I understand that Proctor Metal Masts (or the new owners, Seldén Masts) don’t make a replacement.

Does anyone have experience of fitting a fixed position gooseneck and the pro’s and cons on a cruising boat. (tent cover, reefing etc),

All the best. Any comment appriciated.

Pints bought for any Wayfarers turning up in Castletownbere.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sailboats.co.uk advertise a good stock of Proctor mast/boom spares, including goosenecks and gooseneck spigots.
    They are very helpful and delivery times are good.

krgough
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t think you need a sliding gooseneck for a boom tent – I don’t have one so I just tied the boom to the mast at the right height – I also use a halyard at the gooseneck end to hold the boom up – the outboard end is held by the crutch so no problem. Where the tack of the sail is held by a split-pin there are two lugs on my boom one on each side of the boom (through which the split-pin passes). I tuck one of these into the mainsail track on the mast and I wind the outhaul line from the boom round the mast back onto the boom and whip it round in whatever way seems to work – that seems to be enough to keep the boom against the mast.

Now – I’m no expert at this camping lark – I’ve only done it a couple of times but this lash up seems to work.

regards

Keith

Bob Harland
    Participant
    rcoombs

I had the misfortune of loosing my sliding gooseneck fitting a couple of years back – I contacted Ian Porter – ian_por.porter@btconnect.com who was very helpful and managed to supply one for £20 – It is an obselete fitting but there may be a chance that he has another

Davesp

Ian tried, very kindly to send his last one to me in Ireland a while ago and what do you know? It got lost in the post.

hoping the one from Sailboatsco.uk fits the slot as the measurements don’t seem quite right. Fingers crossed.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

For boat-tenting I use a sliding gooseneck above the fixed gooseneck as my original boat tent required a higher position than the standard one would allow. I have since made another tent which is a basic Mk1 shape (ridge tent) but retaining the higher boom position that the sliding g-n offers. This gives a lot more space in the boat than a standard Mk1 tent, and makes access to the foredeck via the “front door” less problematic for someone of my height.

The sliding gooseneck stays on the mast all the time now, as I felt that the most likely time to lose it (or even part of it, i.e. the screw) over the side would be when attaching or detaching it. That said, I carry a spare; after all it’s such a small but vital component. It’s a Holt one, I can’t remember the number – there are several subtly different versions, but I did have to modify the mast track/groove slightly with an angle grinder 😮

Swiebertje
    Participant

Here is an alternative solution by Dick Harington. It is a solution I particularly like: http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/cruise.daysail/boom.tent/DHboom_tent.html (Scroll to bottom of page, last series of pictures). As Dick explains it is easy made from a flat piece of Aluminium or Aluminum as he would say.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.