Latest News: Forums Cruising Navigation issues

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Traveller
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m looking for any advice anyone may have on the best navigation set up for multi-day trips. I have been using Navionics on an iPad in a Life Edge waterproof case, backed up with paper charts in a waterproof case. But have encountered a few issues;

The Life Edge case becomes less and less responsive to touch screen as it gets water on it. It keeps the ipad dry but as the day goes on becomes hit and miss as to whether you can operate the iPad through it.

The waterproof chart cases I have found proved not to be waterproof when I got knocked down by a gust coming off a hillside.  Nor could I find one with a proper attachment point, so had to improvise, and finally I can never find one that is an exact match for the chart size, meaning that as the chart moves inside the case the positions you’ve marked on the case are no longer accurate…….some judicious folding can help, but not perfect.

So I wondered, do those with more experience have any tips? On better iPad cases, better chart cases, or something altogether different?

Thanks!

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi, we have used Ortlieb document cases size A3 for charts and maps. Always proved waterproof. Judicious folding however is required.
    I wonder how you get on with battery life on your ipad? We have a small/portable Garmin GPS Map 76 – it’s an expensive intial outlay but ours has lasted years, waterproof so no case required. 2 AA batteries last ages – switch it off when not in use.

bob

Traveller
    Participant

Thanks Bob, appreciate that. I’ll have a look at the ortleib. Battery surprisingly good on the ipad, as long as you resist the temptation to play tunes on it! It normally lasts a couple of days with careful use, and I carry a couple of power packs to charge it from as we go.

Any other views on this? Anyone know what hafren and ninipegi did?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.