Latest News: Forums Racing Nautical Zimmer for ageing helmsman !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    bigal

My falling over problem due to age ( 77 ) and the lumps we sail over at Shoreham have been mentioned before and last week resulted in damage to my crew Philip such that four stitches were needed in his wrist . To hopefully solve the problem I am considering installing a Merlin -style hoop fastened to the floor and the back of the thwart for me to hang on to when we turn a corner – it would serve no other purpose . A perusal of the rules shows that fittings to support the crew outboard are prohibited but the rules are silent on fittings designed to support the crew in-board !

Helpful comments welcome .

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Go for it Alan, if it keeps you sailing longer and stops you swimming its a good idea !!!
    I will try and get you one of the Blue Stickers for the transom window for you!!
    CP 😉

bigal

Thanks for the offer of the blue sticker Colin – it will enable me to park for free while I wait for B*****Y Condor to go by !!

Alan

Bob Dutton (used to own W 84 Gypsy) changed to a Kestrel because it had a hoop – he has now bought a new Hartley and fitted his own hoop (not sure if he fitted it or whether he got Hartleys to do it). He’s happy and we have another Wayfarer racing at the club.

Rather fancy one myself, so I can go chariot racing on the Shoreham Ripple and still stay in the boat!

bigal

On the subject of staying in the boat….

Having ruined my last two races by falling over and taking the boat with me I had a trial sail in a K1 ,the single handed keel-boat last week . The venue was Chipstead lake and the wind was ‘ variable ‘ .During one of the more variable moments I fell out but the keel prevented the boat from accompanying me – it stayed vertical with the self – tacking jib keeping it going .

Fortunately I had kept hold of the main sheet and from a very wet position outside the boat was able to redeem myself somewhat by steering the boat to the safety of the jetty . All this on the 40th anniversary of my greatest day in dinghy sailing when I won a Merlin Championship race in a fleet of 143 and Lesley was born that same evening . How the mighty were fallen !!!

But from what I was told I am the oldest trialist of a K1 – a record I believe I might ( should ) keep !

bigal

Well the Zimmer has been fitted and underwent sea-trials yesterday on a lumpy sea at Shoreham . I was amazed how much difference it made both tacking and gybing . The top of the hoop has been aerofoiled and generates a surprising amount of lift reducing the wetted area of the hull . Like a hydrofoil on a moth .

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Yer Yer !!! What ever !!! You would need a foil the size of a Sting Ray to get a Wayfarer to fly with all that weight in the hull !! 🙄
    Good luck with staying in the boat Al !! If you ever fell out in front of me you would be in great danger of being run over by this blind helm, I have even done it too my soon to be, ex crew !!

You know the one Al, she with a bump on the head the size of a keel band!
    CP

@bigal wrote:

The top of the hoop has been aerofoiled and generates a surprising amount of lift reducing the wetted area of the hull . Like a hydrofoil on a moth .

Are you sure that you are sailing your boat the right way up, Alan?

bigal

Not all the time I’m sorry to say – but I’m convinced the Zimmer will help reduce the amount of upside-down time !

Alan

Roger
    Participant

Any chance of a picture of the Zimmer hoop, I may need one of these one day.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

The new Mk 4 with its self draining floor has brought the height from floor to sheer closer, that then means we are standing much higher in the boat where before we were deeper in the boat on Mk2 ect.

We also had a sidedeck that could be held in a tack or just standing in the boat.

I too have felt more off balance in the Mk4 and feel a Zimmer or something to hold on to would give me as a Tall Fat person something to hold onto when standing and moving about the boat in windy weather.

Down side of the Zimmer is connection to the boat so strong enough to hold said Fat Person and reduced space for Short Light Crew! Don’t you just hate them!!!!! 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.