Latest News: Forums Racing National Circuit and Travellers Trophy Series 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • AUTHOR

The first National Circuit and Travellers Trophy series open meeting of 2012 takes place next weekend at Blackwater SC. It’s an early start on Saturday, so you will need to leave early on Sat morning or stay overnight on Friday.

My son Peter will be busy saving lives and delivering babies in his new job with the Ambulance Service, so I have persuaded Kathy to come out of competitive racing retirement to crew for me. For some reason, she is not keen on staying in our big tent, so I have had to promise comfortable B@B accommodation!

See you there?
    Steve

bigal

Regrets that I won’t be there .

Philip won the National over 65 squash champs but two months later was rushed to hospital with severe angina .

After several days in hospital a stent was inserted and we haven’t been on the water this season – first tentative venture to-night I hope .

Steve’s Blog
    There was a respectable turnout at Blackwater SC over the last weekend. Illness and injury had reduced the fleet by two, but most of the ‘usual suspects’ were there. It was good to see Russ Perry and Steve Perry (a shadow of his former self) from Haversham, Jonathan Christie form Aldeburgh, and Alan Goodrum from Upper Thames SC, and, especially, Bjaring Clausen and Hans Hansen from Denmark (after a 19 hour drive via the Dover ferry).

There was no Pork Pie Chaser and, now that Kath and Tracey have been sucked into the warm embrace of Parkstone YC I doubt whether we will see them on the circuit again!

There are signs that the fleet is getting soft. Brian and Bobby were the only ones to camp on site (in their camper van), and Brian spent the whole weekend grumbling about the cold. Others stayed in comfortable hotel accommodation. Kathy appreciated the attention of the Blackwater SC shore team who more or less lifted her into the boat to ensure that the water did not go over the top of her posh Dubarry boots.

A special mention for the reserve crew, she did very well, but is pleased that Peter will be back for the Shoreham weekend.

So we look forward to a sunny weekend by the seaside in two weeks time!

Steve

Geof

I am intending to bring my new toy – Studland Seahorse – along the coast from Parkstone to Shoreham shortly but have not seen the NOR yet.

What time is the first start on Saturday?

I may want to bring the boat over on the Thursday evening prior. Is that possible?

bigal

You’ll be very welcome Geoff .!400 on Sat

If you decide to come down on Thursday ring me on 01444 400607 and I’ll either meet you at the club or give you the combination to the gate .

NOR soon

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all

Good to be back and thanks for the warm welcome, small point however, whilst Steve and myself are good mates we are not related (i dont think) he is actually Steve Swain….. just to put the record straight.

Hope to see you all at Shoreham.

Russell Perry (Shadow of his former self)
    W 10777

Apologies to the crew of ‘Jelli Belli’ for the confusion over names. I am happy to make amends by plugging their open meeting at Haversham SC on 26-27 May. They have a growing fleet of Wayfarers there, free camping, and excellent hospitality by all accounts.

Steve

@Geof wrote:

I am intending to bring my new toy – Studland Seahorse – along the coast from Parkstone to Shoreham shortly but have not seen the NOR yet.

What time is the first start on Saturday?

13:55 hours. See NoR now published on the front page of the web.

Steve’s Blog
    It was another respectable turnout for the second event in the series – the Southern Area Champs at Shoreham last weekend. Congratulations to Bill and Lisa for sailing fast and consistently throughout the weekend.

Geof Gibbons proved that he can “walk the walk as well as talk the talk” (I did wonder after he challenged Ian Porter on some of the finer points of sailing at the training day at Shoreham last year). Good news from Parkstone – they now have 18 Mark IVs in the club and are organising training events to develop their skills.

The photo on the Y&Y website catches Pete and me in our moment of glory when we led the fleet for the first lap of the first race on Saturday (I will draw a veil over the rest of the weekend for us). Big Al had a similar moment of glory on Sunday but then broke something on his boat.

I have learnt that the Pork Pie chaser is in Australia at the moment (but no excuse for not keeping in touch with us via the Internet). A source tells me that Richard and Phil from Medway have ‘wimped out’ of the first two events, but will be turning up eventually. They have also been volunteered to help me with training day at the Nationals on Thursday 19 July. Medway are putting a lot of thought and organisation into the Nationals and they deserve our support.

I understand that Richard and Mark have sold their boat Devil’s Advocate to a club member at Haversham – another Wayfarer fleet that is on the up and up.

I must admit that I won’t be at Tata Steel. We are celebrating the Diamond Jubilee by joining in the on-water events at Southampton. But we will be back for Hayling Island.

Regards
    Steve

Steve’s Blog
    Disappointing to see a turnout of only seven boats at Tata Steel SC for the ‘Inland National Championships’ (see results on the front page of the website). With the benefit of hindsight, we should probably have avoided the Diamond Jubilee Weekend when planning the 2012 programme. On the other hand, there were 17 boats at the Haversham SC open meeting a couple of weekends before, one of the biggest turnouts of the year.

So next weekend the circuit moves to Hayling Island. Briefing at 11:00 hours, first start 13:00 hours. Pete and I will be there.

Steve

Has anyone got a view whether there will be racing on Saturday give predicted levels of of 35knts gusts

Brian McKenzie
    Hercules’ Hound

Agreed. It’s not looking good for Saturday at Hayling Island, but it will be the Race Officer to make a decision on the day. If an early decision is made, I will post it on the front page of the Web.

Steve

Geof

I have made a decision based on the weather that I will not be at Hayling on Saturday but will be on Sunday (subject to confirmation from my crew) provided I can be confident that there will be others to race with. So who is definitely coming?

Anonymous
    Inactive

We are booked in for accommodation and intend to come unless the weather prooves silly!!!!!.
    Will keep an eye on it and the webpage for any nortice of cancelation.

Russell

URGENT please see my post on the front page of the website re Hayling Island today.

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.