Latest News: Forums Cruising Mud berths

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

What is the Forum’s experience of Wayfarers settling on mud as the tide goes out, then refloating when it comes in?

I have never done this before, but may well be doing it Thursday. I am concerned about (literally) being a stick in the mud, and having the tide flooding through the centre board case, rather than lifting the boat and me with it. Low water is about 04:00 BST, so I would not plan to be awake to watch the proceedings (though that may well be what happens).

I hope I am worrying about nothing (or at least, finding a flat bit of mud), but your advice would be welcome.

Richard

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

You’ll be fine. If you get the chance, arrive in good time in the evening, pick your perfect spot before it covers (should be no problem with those tide times) to ensure there are no bricks/anchors/stakes or weird gradients to spoil your trip, then shuffle over to your prospective berth as the water covers it.

Ideally you will put out an anchor at each end of your boat to keep you in the right spot and more importantly to stop you from settling onto your own anchor when the tide goes back out. Remember to raise (and perhaps lash) your rudder (and outboard, if carried), as well as the centreboard.

I used to keep the Wayfarer on a mooring which dried out at LWS. Very, very soft mud (a friend proved that it was at least chest deep once…). Boat always refloated just fine and no apparent harm caused.

Thank you for your very re-assuring comments.

I’m hoping that I will be able to get alongside a drying finger pontoon as the ideal solution (access to pub and toilet …), after discussions with the yard this morning.

Richard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.