Latest News: Forums Technical Mounting an outboard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am restoring woddie 477 and intend to fit an outboard bracket. I see from previous forum enteries that the one available from Boats ‘n’ bits looks good.
    My questions are, is one side better than the other? & is it better to steer with the motor or rudder?
    I’ve been watching wayfarers for a while now and opinion seems to be split.
    Thanks, Ken.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ken,
    Doesn’t really matter which side – whichever is most convenient for you engine.
    Engine steering is a bit erratic till you get used to it, rudder is better except in shallow water when te blade is up.
    Good luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think it will make a huge difference though I don’t have one myself. The only reason I can see for one side or the other would be ‘prop walk’. THis is the sideways effect that a propeller has by pulling the boat sideways due to rotation. Yachties use this to help them park the boat by using forward and reverse to move the boat sideways. the wash of the prop also has a tendency to bounce of the rudder causing another slight sideways effect. this is most noticeable at slow speeds so once moving the effect is negligable. These effects also explain why there might be a split decision amongst owners as it could depend on whether or not you have a left or right handed prop.

Hope this confusing explanation helps. Personally I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Consider instead which hand you would rather operate the engine with and where you will sit when motoring. Being able to reach easily may be a more important locating factor.

Martyn

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Ken,

If you have a 2-piece bracket your outboard will be quite a long way astern of your boat, so unless you rig some kind of throttle arm extension it’s probably going to be quite a bit more convenient to steer routinely with the boat’s tiller/rudder.

Choose which side for the bracket based on the position of the engine controls (fuel tap, gear selector etc.) If you have to reach behind the engine for these it’s best at least to have them on the more accessible side, if possible.

howard

One factor in where to put the motor may be the likelihood of the throttle arm fouling the main sheet while sailing; the arm may be less likely to foul the sheet if it is as far outboard as possible. For example, my throttle arm is on the port side of the outboard, so the motor is mounted to port.

Swiebertje
    Participant

@howard wrote:

One factor in where to put the motor may be the likelihood of the throttle arm fouling the main sheet while sailing; the arm may be less likely to foul the sheet if it is as far outboard as possible. For example, my throttle arm is on the port side of the outboard, so the motor is mounted to port.

For exactly the same reason I have the motor tiller close to the center of the boat. Because I sail with a bridle rope for the main, the main is less likely to catch the tiller if it is under the apex of the bridle.

On an extended motor mount, like the one from boats ‘n bits, a simple piece of bungee will keep the main clear from the motor. A soft stretched bungee pulls the block on top of the bridle forward but only when the tension is off the main (for example while gibing).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.