Latest News: Forums Technical Mounting an electric outboard motor on a woody

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Sandy Goodall
    Participant

Hi there!

Do you think it would be feasible to mount a (relatively light) Torqeedo electric outboard by clamping it directly to the upper edge of the transom ( off to one side, of course, and straddling the mainsheet traveler track).

I ask because it seems that might be much simpler than buying and mounting the usual removable outboard bracket (available for Hartley and others).

I could imagine rigging up a sort of simple removable wooden reinforcment, which would also straddle the mainsheet track, and avoid having the motor clamps damage the inner and outer faces of the wooden transom itself.

What say yea?

Daniel Wetzel
    Participant

Howdy from the other side of the pond.

I have a Torqeedo Travel 1003 (Long Shaft) that I use on my wooden MK I (8020). I have tried it mounted as you describe, however I found I was too often turning the rudder into the blade of the motor (or vice versa). I now use a removable outboard bracket from a company in USA:-

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/rl-motormount-parent.htm

A wooden board is mounted to the flat plate (I used a scrap piece of red oak). I am not sure if they ship to UK.

This mount works for the Torqeedo as well as a small Tohatsu 3.5 gas engine I use for higher winds, currents or longer trips. They weigh about the same – 38 lbs or so.

I do find the Torqeedo some what under-powered when returning to shore into a 10 knot or greater head wind, and dodging power boats.

Dan Wetzel

Burlington, Vermont USA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.