Latest News: Forums Cruising mooring cover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    tempest51

Hello campers!

I would welcome any suggestions for the type of cover to use when leaving a wayfarer on a mooring for a few days only. Normally, I would use an overboom cover at my club boat park. Or is it ok just to leave her floating without a cover?

Regards,

Tempest51

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Whether you can leave the boat moored and uncovered completely depends on a number of things, including the Mk of boat (some are self-draining for that very purpose), the weather conditions, whether anyone can keep an eye on the boat, the condition of the self-bailers and of the centreboard washers etc.

If you’re planning to use a cover think through the practicality of actually fitting it to the boat whilst afloat.

Dave Bevan

We always moored our MKII afloat & uncovered when we took her on holiday to the Norfolk Broads, but she was tied-up 30′ from the cottage we rented on the edge of Hickling broad, so it was very sheltered and easy to keep an eye-on her. I normally left the sails on (old cruising sails, main folded & tied, genoa furled) but always eased the genoa halyard tension and took the tiller & rudder ashore. We normally took our overboom cover, but only so we could get Jeckells to replace/mend another part of it 🙄

Anonymous
    Inactive

It does depend where you are mooring. Like Dave above on holiday I have moored uncovered. I love the big locker on the Mk 2 and have been sufficiently complacent to leave outboard, rudder and tiller inside. As long as the boat looks empty and tidy and you are happy to sponge, pump or bail out rain water…….

tempest51

Hi All,

I forgot to mention that it’s a Mk1 composite with both front and rear lockers.

Regards,

Tempest51

BluTak
    Participant

Mines an old Mk 1 and it used to be left on a mooring for two weeks every summer (isles of scilly). You need to be around to bail it if it rains heavily. (never more than once a day) Make sure the mooring rope is strong at least 1/2″ I use two and that it can’t jump out of the silly fairlead supplied with a wayfarer. I’ve replaced mine with closed ones for just this reason. If you leave your jib furled make sure its secure – I had one shred in a gale. If its an old main just wrap it all up with the mainsheet fall and tie it to the thwart – makes for a quick getaway!
    It should be fine. I use a sevlor inflateable canoe to get out to it – around ÂŁ100 on ebay and have been known to tow it behind to use as a tender! It tows fine. Have a good holiday!

tempest51

Thank you all for the various tips, I don’t think that Gunter (my Uncle’s Rottweiller) will mind sleeping on the boat anyway!

Regards,

Tempest51

BluTak
    Participant

My sheepdog used to sleep on the wayfarer but he’d sneak off and swim ashore in the morning before I got up!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.