Latest News: Forums Technical Mooring advice

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  waypad 3 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR

Traveller
    Participant

Hi all,

In the next couple of weeks, we’ll be putting our Mk1 onto a mooring where she will sit for the summer.  I’m wondering about the best method of securing the boat to the mooring, without making changes to existing fittings.  At present we have a small, open fairlead on both port and starboard bow, and a large cleat just forward of the mast.  As things are I’m not happy just running a line through the fairlead to this cleat, as there can often be a short chop and I’m not convinced the line would stay in place.  Options I’m considering are either a large HMS karabiner on the point of the bow, with the line run through it to the cleat, or some method of closing over the fairleads – e.g. trying to secure a line between the two fairleads and running the mooring line underneath it.  At present I’m leaning towards the karabiner option – wondered if anyone has tried this or has other suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

waypad
    Participant

Hello Dave,
    My advise is to rely on the fairleads you have and just add a
    substantial spring [perhaps even a tyre] a couple of meters away or even little closer if you are short of room. A more drastic idea that comes to mind , is to drill two holes through the upper reaches of each fairlead and fix a pin or chain through.Hope someone comes up with something clever, so
    good luck on this one.
    Pete [red swan 7059]

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Dave – I like your thinking. Better to anticipate a problem than have to deal with it afterwards. I replaced our fairleads for a similar reason and now have both a conventional and a closed fairlead (bronze) on each side at the bow. At first this seemed like overkill, but it has proved its worth over and over. (The photo makes the whole area look cluttered..)

If you can’t (or don’t want to) alter your fittings I like the sound of the karabiner solution, provided the clip is secure and you can deal with any potential chafing. Pete’s fairlead modification also sounds workable.

Traveller
    Participant

Thanks Pete and Dave

Appreciate the comments.  We’ve gone for the karabiner option as a short term solution and will then go for your drilling option Pete.

Cheers!

Dave

waypad
    Participant

I see no reason to doubt your karabiner idea, so good luck mate. Pete

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.