Latest News: Forums Cruising MkIV “cruising”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Richard Hammond
    Participant

Hi, I’ve got some questions about the MkIV cruising Wayfarer, or more accurately, cruising in a MkIV. I used to inexpertly race a mk2 with my father and have spent many days pottering around the coast in the same with cruising sails. I now have  a Mk4 cruising version, primarily to sail with my own family and I can see some of  the advantages of the new version, but I’m a bit confused by the rear drainage holes. When sailing with the cruising box in the back and a Mercury 3.3 on a bracket, the bottom  of the flaps are in the water. It becomes a very wet boat with an a few cm of water over the floor until you’re fast enough to use the self bailers. On a mooring it gradually ships  a bit of water through these flaps unless you remove the engine and the box. I’ve also done a  10  buckets of water ‘swamp test’ on a mooring and the boat doesn’t drain particularly with this box/engine combo. presumably  because the box blocks the drain holes.

So…..how does anyone ‘cruise’ in a mk4? is it only suitable for ashore camping and do you have to remove the engine and box unless it’s just for a few hours? There is no stowage that’s dry except the box, right? There’s nowhere to put the engine in the boat except the rear box else it would be lying in an inch of water. So where do you  put everything else?

I don’t really ‘get it’.

Richard

• This topic was modified 4 days, 5 hours ago by Dave Barker.
    Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Richard,

You make some very interesting points about the MkIV, and it’s always refreshing to hear an honest opinion 🙂

To some people in the world of sailing the word ‘Cruising’ seems to be associated with a less serious form of our sport. You only have to glance at many of the online retailers to see that the ‘cruising’ versions of sails, fittings and even boats are of a lesser quality than their ‘racing’ equivalents, despite the fact that cruisers usually sail without safety boats, often for a number of days at a time (rather than hours), and have to be completely self-reliant.

However, the issue with the MkIV is not so much the usual cruising vs. racing problem as the perceived intended use by cruising sailors and the intrinsic design decisions made by the builder.

In my experience most serious W cruisers tend to sail legacy Wayfarers, and this is not just because second- (or umpteenth-) hand boats are cheaper! However, the stock of good older boats inevitably shrinks as the years pass by, and we are going to have to find ways to cruise MkIVs successfully.

I’ll have to try to be a bit diplomatic, but there are several things that you can do to make your cruising experience a happier one. Most of these seem to me to consist of reversing the features of the boat which distinguish it from the ‘legacy’ Marks of Wayfarer, such as taping or sealing the drainage flaps closed, sealing the spinnaker chute, replacing the plastic self-bailers with steel ones, etc. If you were to sleep aboard you would probably be well-advised to use a bivi bag (but I would tend to do this anyway, even with floorboards in a Mk1).

The copyright for the Wayfarer has long since passed away from the UKWA, so we can only request (not insist) that boats are built to satisfy the requirements of all kinds of Wayfarer sailor, but I would encourage you (and anyone else) to give honest, constructive feedback to Hartley Boats about your experience with the MkIV.

Richard Hammond
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. It’s not even sleeping aboard that I’m currently struggling with, just the general possibility of actually leaving the thing unattended on a  mooring. With the engine left on the bracket and the box left in place (and no people) in there’s 3/4cm of water in the boat overnight……a bivvy bag wouldn’t cut it!

So as a question rather than a general moan, is it ‘advised’ that you remove the box overnight on a mooring? Maybe I’ll send Hartley an email as you suggest. What do people seal up the flaps with?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

I’ve seen flaps taped up with duct tape, or for a more permanent solution apparently Sikaflex will stick an oval plastic cover over each opening.

(The bivvy bag suggestion was meant for after you have sealed your flaps, replaced your bailers etc. There’s still nowhere for nuisance water to drain into.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.