Latest News: Forums Technical MK2 SD, removing the centre board

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    davehansen

Hello everyone,

I have a MK2 SD (self draining with air compartment under the floor), I want to remove the centre board for varnish/epoxy.

There doesnt appear to be a bolt visible around the centreboard case, can anyone tell me how I can remove this ?

Thanks

Dave

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

It maybe on a stirrup in the centerboard box which your get access to via the centerboard slot under the boat.
    Pull back the slot gasket if it has one and you may find some screws to undo.
    CP

davehansen

Thanks,

I’ll investigate underneath ina few weeks when I get the boat home

Dave

davehansen

I turned the boat on it’s side (with help) and checked it up, The centreboard pivot is held in place by 6 stainelss screws positioned under the brass rubbing strips.

I have removed the board and it is in good condition, I will sand it then give it a couple of coats of expoxy then varnish.

While I am at it i am going to address all the imperfections in the gell coat.

Fantasia

Many years ago, I had an SD N(W8800), it leaked into the buoyancy chamber and I eventually found the cause to be the screws that hold the centreboard stirrup allowed the water in. It would be worth re-fitting these with care and use some sort of sealant such as Sikaflex.

davehansen

Hi, The 6 screws were quite difficult to remove, and i will have to replace them with new ones when they go back in. I will make sure I use sikaflex when i put thme back in. Did your fix for the leak work ?

Dave

@Fantasia wrote:

Many years ago, I had an SD N(W8800), it leaked into the buoyancy chamber and I eventually found the cause to be the screws that hold the centreboard stirrup allowed the water in. It would be worth re-fitting these with care and use some sort of sealant such as Sikaflex.

Fantasia

Yes, the fix worked, although I also refixed the keel bands at the same time as I was suspicious of those screws leaking too. Nothing more annoying than a small, but continuous leak into the buoyancy chamber. Does yours leak as well?

davehansen

There is a small leak somewhere, I wasn’t sure if it was coming from above (rear bench support mounting) or below. I’ll address all areas.

Thanks for your help.

@Fantasia wrote:

Yes, the fix worked, although I also refixed the keel bands at the same time as I was suspicious of those screws leaking too. Nothing more annoying than a small, but continuous leak into the buoyancy chamber. Does yours leak as well?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.