Latest News: Forums Racing Mk 4 ‘Cruising’ hull

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Richard Hammond
    Participant

Hi. How much slower are are the solid GRP ‘cruising’ mk4’s compared to the sandwich racing versions would you say?

john1162
    Participant

Assuming all thing being equal then the cruising version of the MK4 will not point as high and is heavier and not as stiff. All of which means that the MK4 cruising version will not be competitive when sailed against a racing version.  When it comes to speed difference I do not know of any testing that has been done.

davdor7038
    Participant

Was talking to a sailor who changed from Mk4 cruiser to racer.

He reckoned that the racer pointed about 5 degrees higher and definitely faster in lighter winds.

So for us average sailors with older or cruising spec boats, winning a championship is unlikely.

Though it would be interesting if someone could persuade Mike McNamara to sail a Mk4 cruiser at one of the regattas, just to see what happens.

Maybe it is time for the UKWA to be honest and bring in a separate prize(s) for solid GRP boats to widen the interest in racing.

Not sure how to cater for the woodies ( some of which are championship winning boats) or older foam-sandwich boats like the Plus-S Mk2 and World?

Richard Hammond
    Participant

Why would it point higher?

davdor7038
    Participant

I don’t know.

Is the sheeting position for the genoa more outboard on the Cruiser?  Or maybe he hadn’t enough tension on the main leech or enough tension on the jib halyard.  Or maybe he is just sailing better.

I do know that since changing to a muscle box on my own Mk2, it has been easier to get better rig tension and we do seem to be pointing as well as the MK4’s, though still not  as fast upwind.  Which may also be my sailing technique or my Helyar genoa reefing system taking away that little bit of power generation from the genoa. Every 1% makes a difference.  There are so many variables.  Weight is a big factor in light winds.

But anyway,  he reckoned that the Cruiser pointed about 5 degrees less than the Racer version when sailing against them, and he is now pointing the same since buying the Racer.

Regards, davdor

Richard Hammond
    Participant

I noticed at the weekend that the shrouds are fixed to the hull further inboard on a racer. Would that make any difference?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.