Latest News: Forums Cruising Mid channel crossing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fantasia

Rob Golding and I are planning to make a passage from our sailing club (Hayling Island) direct to France and back. We have a couple of options: direct, east of the IoW to Cherbourg peninsula or Alderney, or via Yarmouth and west of IoW to same destination. We are hoping to go in favourable conditions later in May or during June (shorter nights) and wonder if their are any others who might like to join us? We are planning, sorting Rob’s boat and gathering the necessary gear at the moment. If anyone else has undertaken a similar passage (65-75 NM) we would be keen on hearing your experiences.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave Maynard will reply with details, but having just looked at your post with regard to daylight. We went in August, 3 up and it only took 12 hours to Alderney from Portland Harbour ( Castle Cove SC). If you do go to Alderney please give ours & “Miss Quinn”s, regards to the Sailing club.

W10143

Doesn’t she look lovely in Bray Harbour!

As Simon said, we went in August from Portland; tides don’t really matter, as you’re going ‘cross current’, and over 12 hrs or thereabouts, will tend to cancel each other out. I suppose that your more SW course may increase tidal effect, but overall it should still cancel out.

Important to ensure that you a) know when you’re in the TSS and b) cross at 90deg to the flow (N-S) – it can get quite busy out there!

Other than that, just a bigger version of Hayling to Wight really!!

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s so long ago Dave has forgotten the bit about when you leave the east-west tide in the channel and enter the north-south tide of the islands it is crucial that you pick up the southerly tide as the tides there can be a quite strong. Instead of my normal anchor warp I made one up from climbing rope ( stretchy but strong) as the range in the islands is very large, we carried 100mts of warp +3mts chain just in case we couldn’t get into Braye and had to anchor in a bay.

Fantasia

Thank you for all the feedback so far. I am currently trying to find-out the best GPS to get. hart plotting would be nice, but one could probably pre-plot the relevant waypoints in a simpler model. I am confused by all the different types available and I think that my sextant is now rather outdated.

W10143

Hi John

Simon uses an ETrex from Garmin, and I have been happy with the Garmin GPS60 which has a very basic plotter screen, but is Waterproof, and I think floats.

David

Dave Bevan

Did you make this trip John?

Regards,

Dave

Fantasia

Sadly not made this yet, after setting various dates the weather was always against us. We have not given up hope yet, but a busy business life does not help. I am still determined to do this though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.