Latest News: Forums Technical mast work

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Afternoon all, I want to swap a cleat on my mast so I can reef whilst teaching my children. I have the ratchet device there now, so question is, has anyone done this before ? what size cleat should I use ?

All views appreciated

THanks

Jonny

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Johnny,
    Can you give a bit more detail – you should be able to reef without anything on the mast.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Matt, where do I cleat the main halyad off when I have reefed the sail ?
    I have the ratchet halyad tightener on the back face of the mast, so I could loop the dyneema halyad I have, is there another spot to tie the halyad off ? Much appreciated

Jonny

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

If I have understood correctly I’m guessing that what you call a ratchet tightener is either a Highfield lever or a muscle box. These are normally used to apply tension to the genoa or jib halyard (which in turn tightens the shrouds).

The main halyard doesn’t need to be tightened to quite the same extent, so a simple cleat is usually adequate, often screwed to the mast, from which the halyard can be released quickly and easily to raise or lower the mainsail, including partial raising/lowering when putting in or shaking out a reef.

Because the main halyard is approximately twice the length of the mast it should easily reach its cleat even when the mainsail is deep-reefed.

The genoa halyard will typically be wire for most of its length, with a loop at one end which in my boat is hooked onto the Highfield lever prior to tensioning the genoa, There is a rope tail (with stopper knot at the end) spliced onto the wire loop to stop the halyard from disappearing right up the mast when the genoa is lowered

By the way, I can recommend the Wayfarer Book, available from this website at £15 to members – money well spent imo.

If I have got the wrong end of the stick then please ignore all of the above.

DB

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave’s reply has reminded me of what I did when I detuned my boat from race rigged.
    I had a wire main halyard with a looped end that you tensioned with a rope tail and a metal tube, sliding the loop onto a series of teeth (which may correspond to your ratchet thing) to cleat (the series of teeth mounted on the mast a foot or so from the bottom).
    I fitted a rope halyard and a cleat on the starboard side of the mast just above the fore deck. Not sure of the technical name for the type of cleat but it is about 3-4 inches long and you wrap the halyard around the two “prongs” rather than passing through the cleat and getting the inside to pinch onto the rope. I also used the Wayfarer handbook to guide me through fitting cleats to the boom for reefing and would also recommend it highly. Incidentally next time I might use 5mm rope for the main halyard although it costs more it would be “kinder” to the hands.
    Not sure if this helps but if your boat was raced it might take quite a bit of brain work to sort the reefing out……..the book is indispensable.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Or even better, come to the Cruising Conference. More advice will be forthcoming than you could acquire in years of trial and error.
    The type of cleat referred to is a horn cleat.
    I think Dave and Dave have got it about right.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gentlemen, thank you. Yes you have clarified my dilema and exposed vast swathes of ignorance. The Wayfarer book will be bought and poored over before I take to the water.

Thanks again

Jonny

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Johnny and Matt,

I have just been setting up mainsail reefing on Naomi. Having purchased the kit from Porters a while back, I have only just got around to doing it. I found that the roller supplied fitted flush to the boom at the rear end. I decided that I did not want this because sometimes I like to join the races and put my best sails on.

Looking at the boom, I saw that it been drilled in a previous life, sure enough the holes were in the right places. I personally prefer the reefing to be on the outside of the boom rather than sheaved through it.

The main halyard still ties off on the mast cleat, but the bottom reef eye hooks onto the boom. Hope this helps.

Jim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.