Latest News: Forums Technical mast storage (horozontal)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

Me again!

Somewhere on here (can’t find where – and there’s nothing in the W Book) someone commented on the need to support a mast along its length when horozontally stored for a long period, so as to avoid spoiling the pre-bend: I was inspired to add two more bungee slings nearer the centre of mast to support my it in the garage over winter.

Now I have a new problem in that I’ve managed to get shed space at my club (a side benefit of falling memberships), which is great for the long-term condition of my woodie, but the mast storage involves supporting the mast by the foot on one beam and again about 1/4 back from the head on another beam. The mast will lie on its “back” (luff tube) or on its sides but not on on its “front” owing to the pull of the spreaders (they cause the centre of gravity to be somewhere just aft of the mast itself). The question is – will this situation knacker my mast? Will creating some chocks to ensure it is lying on its “front” help? Does anyone have experiences or knowledge to shed light on this one?

all best wishes as ever

“Boris”
    W6330 Delphy

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Maybe strap another piece of wood next to the mast to help keep it from bending!!

Swiebertje
    Participant

A mast should not have pre-bend. It should be as straight as a ruler! Pre-bent is something you get from tensioning your rig.

Mast from ocean going racers need to be supported well, compared to a Wayfarer mast they are very thin walled and long compared to their diameter. In other words, they are relatively weak. The Wayfarer mast is a strong mast with thick walls compared to its diameter and length. It is not easy to bend it. I tried to straighten an old mast once. While sitting on two saw horses, it took three persons jumping on it to get it to permanently bend. I cannot imagine that laying a Wayfarer mast sideways on two supports can bend it. Or course it is always better to be safe then sorry.

However, I would avoid point loading it at all times. A bit if foam will help. (Isolation foam for warm water pipes from a home appliance shop works well).

Thanks for this wonderful answer. I am very fond of information that means I need do nothing about something!
    And many friendly greetings/vegetables to you too!.

Boris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.