Latest News: Forums General Mast shortage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR

Just to let you all know that there appears to be a shortage of Wayfarer masts. I have been waiting for 2 weeks for Porters to get a supply from Selden and they stilll haven’t arrived! Any ideas???

Liam

I was able to get one from Allspars in Plymouth recently, from stock. They had a good supply ‘off the shelf’. I have been told however they are no longer permitted to supply and that in future you have to purchase through the Builders/Porters. I do not know the facts, I merely report what I have been told by a source whose living will be affected if such restrictive practice is what we must expect for the future.
    It will be interesting to watch the price and availability of masts/booms/rudders etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand from a reliable source that Hartley Marine have been given the sole distribution rights to selling Selden Wayfarer spars in the UK.

Richard

G.ORilla

@Richard Readings wrote:

I understand from a reliable source that Hartley Marine have been given the sole distribution rights to selling Selden Wayfarer spars in the UK.

Richard

If that is true then we can expect Laser type rip – off pricing for spares and probably more people leaving to sail something else. I understood that one of the “promises” made was to have a second spar supplier not a tied down monopoly of supply AND distribution

Fantasia

I think that the real problem is that Selden do not produce enough masts or hold a stock of them to distribute to anyone.

Swiebertje
    Participant

On your way to the worlds you could pick one up from the Dutch dealer of Selden/Proctor here:

Optiparts Marine Equipment BV,
    Merwedeweg 3A,
    3621LP BREUKELEN,
    THE NETHERLANDS
    t: +31 (0)346-264395
    w: http://www.optiparts.com

You don’t even have to make much of a detour, they are right next to the A2 motorway, between Amsterdam and Utrecht.

Getting one from them by mail order may be a bit of a problem. They are most likely under embargo to ship to the UK. And also masts are very expensive items to ship through UPS or TNT because of their length.

Alternatives:

Raceboats
    Mesterlodden 36
    2820 Gentofte
    Denmark
    t: +45 39 66 33 22
    e: jacob@bmsails.dk
    w: http://www.bmsails.dk
    f: +45 45 88 60 92

Which is very close to the Worlds venue in Hellerup.

And also Thomas Raun Petersen, the secretary of the Scandinavian Wayfarer association, who has a little shop in Wayfarer specials, can get you a new mast. To be delivered at Hellerup harbour if you should so wish. Give Thomas a call or email.

Wayfarer Trading
    Skovgårdsvej 15
    2920 Charlottenlund
    Denmark
    t: (+45) 3964 2007
    m: (+45) 6130 6617
    e: trp@wt.dk
    w: http://www.wt.dk

Thomas is one of the Wayfarers racing.

Thanks for all your suggestions re alternative suppliers, but I am pleased to say that Porters now have a stock and I will be collecting my replacement later this week. Panic over!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.