Latest News: Forums Technical Mast Setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    QW7265

Hi – would like to know is anyone has any tips:

I have purchased a new mast – my old one corroded so badly under the spreader bracket that it nearly broke in half!
    Looking at the WIC recommendations the following are OK;
    Top of mast to mainsheet track 7140mm
    Spreader length 507mm
    Spreader span 965mm
    Spreader deflection 190mm (203 recommended)

My problem is mast pre bend – it’s actually negative , with a bulge towards the stern at the spreader bracket of about 20mm , making my mast almost S shaped.
    I know the the spreader could do with more deflection (13mm) but would this make a 20mm -ve bend into 25mm +ve?

Any ideas on the cause of the problem would be appreciated?
    I dont race so its not a critical speed thing , it just doesnt look right!
    Thanks
    Q

G.ORilla

Try “pinging it”. A big shove forward about a foot above the gooseneck to get the prebend in the right place. It sounds as thought you will have too mauch and need some mast chocks though.

make sure that the mast pin is loose when the rig is under tension

QW7265

Thanks G.O. Rilla – the winds were too high today so I couldnt put the mast up to try the “pinging” technique.

I do have mast chocks and the pin is not loose when the rig is under tension (highfield lever) , its tight up forward. Could it be the position of the mast step?

Q

G.ORilla

Yes, you need to try and see which side of the pin is tight when the rig is under tension (get someone to slowly apply the highfield lever whilst you jiggle the pin) and adjust the position of the mast step. However, it is not that easy, since you need to check the rake of the mast (23’6″ from top to track at stern – or where the track would have been if you don’t have one) – all the measurements are dependent on each other.

The loose pin is important as the mast can fail at this point if too much tension. Have a look at some of the tuning guides on the website – even though intended for racers, the data is valid for all and a correctly set up boat is just so much nicer to sail………

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.