Latest News: Forums Technical Mast Head Buoyancy Wind Resistance

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  davdor7038 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

Sylvain Caro
    Participant

Hi to everyone 🙂

I’m back with a new question :
    I want to build a mast head buoyancy, made of glass reinforced polyester.
    It sounds easy because I use to work with it, but I’m afraid of the wind resistance it can create.
    To make you understand what I’m talking about, here is, joined to this message, a simple draw of what it will be like.

As it will be fixed on the top of the mast, and so won’t turn with the wind, do you think it could be an important wind resistance, or that it is absolutely not important?

Many thanks from France!

Sylvain

Marcus Redfern
    Participant

Hi Sylvain – did you ever make a mast head float, and if so do you have any thoughts on the size chosen, how it works and wind resistance. A photo would be interesting to see too if you have one.

thanks

Marcus

davdor7038
    Participant

Hi  Sylvain,

In the recent Internationals in Greystones, one of my fellow sailors was using a Hartley supplied mast-head flotation device consisting of 4 modules of approx 150-200mm in diameter and approx 300mm in length each, slotting into each other and attached to the outside of the mast by nylon bolts threaded through captive nuts in the modules and pushing against the mast but not cutting into it.

Picture of said flotation device can be found on the Hartley Chandlery site by searching for “flotation”. Pricey but a very neat solution.

Both of us sailing MKII’s and were reefed down because of the strong winds and the sea-state was quite rough.  I didn’t notice any great loss of performance due to his mast-head buoyancy, but when he capsized, the buoyancy did a good job of preventing him from turtling (turning completely upside-down) , unlike many other of the capsizes, some of which turtled 2-3 times before being able to stay upright.

On balance, I would say, for a non-racer, the role played by the buoyancy in preventing inversion (turtling) in the rough seas we encountered outweighed the relatively small amount of additional wind resistance which would be caused by the mast-head buoyancy.

Hope this is of some help.  davdor.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.