Latest News: Forums General Mast head Bouyancy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone,

Not a moment too soon, I have decided to do something about mast head bouyancy for Naomi.

After a blustery trip back from Keyhaven last year, I realised
    the importance of stopping her from inverting in a rough sea. (well rough enough for me).

I have been looking at different types of mast head floats, they seem to vary considerably in their technical specifications.

For example, crewsaver sell a 9 litre capacity model for a modest £50. Is 9 litres enough for a Wayfarer?

Or should I be considering the Automatic Air type, such as supplied by Secumar? These type operate on a gas cylinder arrangement and offer either 20 or 40 litres capacity. They are however considerably more expensive.

Your views would be very welcome

Cheers

Jim 8)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jim,
    Go for the Secumar and put it on a halyard so it can be reloaded whilst at sea( but make sure that you dry the Tablet socket really really well or it will go off again)
    Simon
    Miss Quinn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the advise Simon, it sounds as though you have some experience in this subject.

I suppose it is the old addage here, you get what you pay for!

Do you use a separate halyard for the device?

Is it secured at either end?

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Being safe while sailing on the sea is obviously the main priority.

I hope to join you in a sail one of these days

Regards

Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jim,
    Yes it is secured at both ends, I have a double pulley at the top of my mast 1 for a burgee and the other for the Secumar device. I tested mine when I got it and it goes off when it is about a yerd below the surface, then because it is on a halyard it floats but the mast head is still 6-9inches below so you can control the righting moment, as regards experience mine went off about 60 miles out on the way to Holland a couple of years ago, we had to drop the mast to make a repair and I forgot about the device so it went pop.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bet you were glad you had taken the trouble to fit it!

I was concerned that the Crewsaver model did not have sufficient capacity at just 9 litres. I think I shall take your advise and fit the Secumar as you have suggested.

I am still fairly new to sea sailing and have yet to capsize out there!

I tend to sail at Poole Harbour quie a lot and together with lymington Town SC on their monthly sails.

I also sail with John Norman on his UKWA events and intend to join his Portsmouth trip this coming June 2nd

Thanks again for your help, I shall let you know how I get on

Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quick question for Simon………or anyone……..presumably the halyard blocks for raising secumar device are externally mounted ie halyard is not up the inside of the mast…….or am I completely out! I was considering using the spinnaker halyard to experiment (obviously this is not at mast tip so less effective as a counter force)

W10143

Either side of the masthead.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

David,

Have you given any more thought to the Portsmouth Rally?

I shall be joining the 5th May LTSC day as well.

Regards

Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

There’s been a lot of discussion of this topic on the Laser 2000 forum (a class that needs it more than the Wayfarer!).

See, for example:

http://www.laser2000.lasersailing.com/chat/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1154&SearchTerms=masthead

If you do a ‘search’ on that forum, e.g. for ‘masthead’, you’ll find more threads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.