Latest News: Forums Technical Mast chock questions

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Algol 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR

Algol

Do you buy them or do you make them?

If you make em presumably the critical measurement is to fit in the slot in front of the mast and to be in 5 or 6mm increments?

How do you attach them – to each other, to the boat – so you don’t lose them?

bigal

P&B supply them in plastic made by Ronstan£27.26 per set . You may need to glue some thin perspex to them to get the fit you want .They come with hole for a piece of cord to be tied round the mast . however i used a piece duct tape and they survived a capsize on Monday .
    The PB cat no is 49-RFPNP200 .

Swiebertje
    Participant

£27.26, if you say it fast enough it may sound less…..

I have been sailing happily with some pieces of plywood, cut to a T-shape and varnished. A 2mm rope through holes in the top of the T’s (not in the middle where the mast pushes) holds them together with a figure eight knot. The other end of the rope goes through a small hole in the vertical part of the fore deck next to the mast, where the unused chocs dangle against it. Obviously the rope has another figure eight knot below deck. The chocs are made from 4mm ply and cost nothing if made from scrap material. If you don’t have small left overs, go to your local timber shop where you usually can get them for free from the waste bin next to the sawing machine.

Costs, apart from some elbow grease: null, naught, zero, nil, nothing, zilch, dim, nada, niente, nichts, niks, rien, intet, ??????, nic, wala, ??? ?? ????.

tempest51

Swiebertje,

Nic is ok, but za darmo sounds a little better…. 8)

bigal

….but surely the idea of buying a boat is not to save money .

If you don’t spend that £27.26 you will add it to your savings and in 30 years time ,when you die , it will have grown to £80 and so increased your estate by that much . On that increase you will pay inheritance tax at 40% namely £32 .

Can you afford to throw away nearly £5 ????

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Must not be to hard on are friend Al he is the man who buys new sails for racing and cruising so he has to save the euro’s when he can!!

C P 😉

Algol

Ah, so it turns out there’s nowhere for me to put any chocks anyway. The mast is held in at front and sides already. So, no adjustment to mast bend is possible. Balderdash!

Does anyone know a neat way of replacing this fixed mast chock thing?

Swiebertje
    Participant

Is your mast set-up right? When it is set-up right you should be able to get one or two fingers in front of it with the rig tension off. First check your mast rake and pivot pin. The pin should rattle freely with the tension on, the rake measurement is described in detail on every Wayfarer web-site. Once that setting is OK and there is still no space between the mast and the deck, check if there is something glued in there that does not belong to the boat and remove it with a little persuasion.

I have never heard of a boat that was build without space between the mast and the deck, so make absolutely sure there is something there that does not belong before you start hacking away. That is also why my first thoughts are to check the mast set-up.

Maybe you could ask one of your fellow club members to help setting up the mast? It isn’t a difficult job once someone showed you the ropes, but it can be a hassle if you only have a piece of paper to guide you. There is also the UKWA cruising conference or the UKWA race training event where you will meet lots of knowledgeable people willing to help you (bring your boat). Other than that, I can think of worse ways to spend a weekend. (What was the name of that pub again?).

Algol

@swiebertje wrote:

Is your mast set-up right?

A good question. I had intended to set it up properly soon anyway.

The reason I asked is I would expect there to be a gap in front of the mast when it’s ‘at rest’, as it were, and there isn’t

BluTak
    Participant

Algol – It sounds like you may have the mast rake wrong which woud go a long way to explaining why you are also having such trouble when reefed. If the mast is hanging over the front of the boat you will have lee helm. When I got my boat it was completely wrong even though it had been raced. I set it up according to the tuning guide and its fine now. If I were you I’d make sure the rake is correct before going any further. Swiebertje is again giving you good advice and my first step would be to get a good tape measure and refer to the tuning guide. Just seen your last post I confirm there should be a decent gap Robert

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.