Latest News: Forums Introductions Mark 2: W7391

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jmcc500 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR

Luke Bosman
    Participant

Hi.

I’ve just bought John Norman’s “Now or Never” and am looking forward to sailing it, mainly on Ullswater but possibly further afield if I can find the confidence to do so. I first sailed in the mid-1980s when I was a Sea Scout in Leigh-on-Sea, mostly sailing Tideways before my parents very kindly bought me a secondhand Topper, which accompanied me on holidays to Germany, France and Spain. Three or four years ago I rediscovered my Topper and found that I’m truly not a good match for it anymore. When I get in, there’s even less space between the boat and the water than normal. For a little while, I borrowed my friend’s Hawk 20 which sails like a big Wayfarer and the thought struck me that a Wayfarer would be a fine boat to possess. So, after a little saving and then considering the purchase of a wooden model (before friends who have owned wooden boats reminded me of my casual approach to maintenance), I saw “Now or Never” advertised and drove it home on Saturday. My wife, Kate, and I are booked in for the Ullswater Gathering this summer and look forward to seeing some of you there. I’m now working on persuading Kate that a week sailing on the Norfolk Broads would be a splendid idea. She’s not a tent fan.

jmcc500
    Participant

Welcome to the Wayfarer scene. I don’t think you will regret getting a Wayfarer and I am sure you’ll have a great time at the gathering. Do think about the International Rallies – we have had our boat for 4 years now and have made it to Holland (2016) and the Broads (2018). We’re off to Denmark in a few weeks – really looking forward to that.

Plenty of other options on the Broads – I am sure you could find places to stay in some of the towns and villages, or you could rent a houseboat and sail from a single spot as we did on the International Rally (sailing from Thurne each day).

This forum is quite quiet, so you may not get a fast response but still worth coming on and keeping up to date.

Happy sailing!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.