Latest News: Forums Technical Making a wooden tiller

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    tempest51

I fancy having a go at making a new tiller from something like spruce and mahogany or similar. Does anyone have experience of this or could steer me (haha) to find plans and measurements etc?

Swiebertje
    Participant

A standard Wayfarer tiller is 1400 mm in total or 1300 mm from the front of the rudder. AFAIK there are no rules limiting the length, the diameter, material or shape.
    A nice effect is achieved by laminating layers of dark wood (mahogany) and a light wood (spruce). I saw a tiller once that was laminated in a shallow S-shape. It not only looked very nice but it also allowed access to the rear tank without having to remove it.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Oooh!! You could have a nice Carbon tiller then!!!

The important part of the tiller making process is getting the tiller angle in the stock just right, not to high and yet not to low as to hit the side deck when tacking!!

It is also a wedge in the stock head, so do not take off to much at a time and make it to small to fit the hood.

When sailing your boat with the existing tiller in place, take a look at its length and see if its the length thats good for you, no point finding out later its wrong.You have all winter to make the tiller.

CP

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

Oooh!! You could have a nice Carbon tiller then!!!CP

Yup, until the AGM hears about it….

Don’t get me wrong, I am all in favour of modernising the boat. All I said is: Don’t put too much effort in it because you will most likely not get it passed the AGM.
    The only concern I have with a full carbon rig is the total weight of the boat. I suggested that we should change the way we weigh the boat. The weighing process should include the rig before we allow carbon. That way a carbon rigged boat has no advantage over a alloy rigged boat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.