Latest News: Forums Technical mainsail reefing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Hoggy

I am setting up a reefing system on my MK2, I wanted to know if it matters what side you put the cleats on the boom. The reason I ask is I already have 2 screwed on the port side. It was done by a previous owner, so would save me doing it. I am going to fix 2 mini cheek blocks on the boom and run the lines to the cleats, a bit like the set up in the Wayfarer book, under reefing.
    How far back should the leech line cheek block be set back from the leech cringle?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Geoff.

Hi Geoff, I have a cleat on each side of the boom and they are both easy to use, as far as I know the line from the leech block to the cringle should be at approx. 45 degrees.
    Hope this helps
    Vince

Hoggy

Thanks Vince for your reply, I think I will leave the cleats where they are and use the 45 degrees rule.

Thanks,
    Geoff.

Davdor7038

Geoff, if you have boom sliders under the boom, it might be better to first tie blocks to the boom sliders to find the best position for your cheek blocks. Take a look under the Cruising header on the front page for more details.When you are happy with the angleto give the best set and tension to the sails, drill away. Regards, Dave

Hoggy

I have got a very old boom, the old round / oval shape. It has no slider groove so I will be extra careful before drilling and fixing, thanks for your help.

Thanks,
    Geoff.

Swiebertje
    Participant

If you pull the reefing cringle taut with a makeshift rope-pulley from the boom end, you will get a pretty good idea where to put the cheek block.

Hoggy

Swiebertje, yet again a simple yet helpful suggestion, cheers.

With pleasant vegetables,
    Geoff.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Just remember that pulling the cringle down, tight to the boom, is just as important as pulling it backwards. On my boat I copied a set-up often seen on big boats; The reefing line goes from the block in an angle to the cringle. At maximum pull the angle is such there is still backward pull. Someone suggested 45 degrees,that would agree with me. Through the cringle, on the other side of the sail, the bitter end goes to a fixture (a slider in my case) on the bottom of the boom. The fixture is more or less below the cringle when it is in its aft most position. There it provides maximum down pull and prevents the cringle from lifting off the boom. Having the bitter end below the boom not only allows the cringle to be pulled tight against the boom but it also provides sufficient space for the unused part of the sail. Suppose the reefing line is attached to some fixture on top of the boom right next to the cringle, that would crush you precious sail like a pepper mill because there is just not enough space left for the cloth to go.

Maybe it helps if you have a look at some pictures of my boat. (pdf alert!). Note that I have used an existing sheave at the boom end. (A modern boom end has two sheaves). A cheek block as you suggest is just as good. It is only that I like to have my reefing line inside the boom. If not you need to think of something to hold the reefing line up and prevent getting caught by it in a gybe or a tack. An unused reefing line is always slack and some day it will lash around your neck, usually when you least expect it! (Sod’s law).

Hoggy

Now thats what I call a comprehensive and detailed reply I thought the PDF was great and I am sure anyone else following this thread will appreciate it to. I will be using the ideas I have seen there.

Thanks very much,
    Geoff.

Swiebertje
    Participant

Just thought of it, Matt Sharman has a system that uses cheek blocks and still goes through the boom. I think it may work on a round boom too: Click here (PDF allert).

Please note that we all use a block near the goose neck that allows us to pull the reefing line in any direction. This is an important safety feature. Don’t assume you will be able to place yourself in to a position to pull the line straight forward when the going gets tough. Once you accept this the clam cleat behind it comes naturally.

BTW, Maybe you should consider, in contrast to Matt’s solution, putting the two reefing lines on opposite sides on a small boom like yours?

tempest51

What a brilliant post Swiebertje, I have learnt even more.

Dziekuje bardzo

Hoggy

Just a note to say I have now managed to recreate the reefing system shown on the Pdf. I have been down the club to try it out on the boat and it works quite well. All I need now is to put into pratice on the wobbly water and under windy conditions.

Thanks again Swiebertje for your help.
    Geoff.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.