Latest News: Forums Technical Main / Genoa sheets – what length?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

As per thread title really…

Just decided to order some rope to make up some new sheets and don’t have the boat handy to measure up.

Currently boat has a 3:1 aft sheeted main, though I may change that to centre sheeting if I can persuade myself I can afford the necessary hardware!

On a related topic, what’s everyone’s favourite method of attaching sheets to the genoa? Ours only has clew eyelet about 10mm dia, and I want to use 8mm rope (for the sake of the crew’s hands) so my preferred option of a lark’s head knot won’t work. I don’t want to use a shackle and have it battering the mast when tacking in strong winds, so the only other way I can think of is to rig a continuous sheet with one end tied to the clew with a bowline, then the other end tied into the loop formed by the first knot, but I hate the lack of symmetry this gives!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are you intending to be more cruisy than racy? If so, I’d leave it as aft main. It keeps the cockpit so much clearer. As to length of main, 13m springs to mind. But to be sure, push boom all the way out to the shrouds and measure from ‘windward’ side of the traveller to the end of the boom then times by 3. Add about 1m to be in your hand when running and you have your length. Incidentally I always tie a stopper knot so that the main cannot touch the shrouds if the sheet is accidentally dropped mid gybe, thus preventing shroud damage.

The genoa sheet: length not sure. Attaching – I use a simple overhand knot either side of the clew. Works for me though they are a pig to undo at the end of season should I be good enought to wash them.

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

@thehairs1970 wrote:

Are you intending to be more cruisy than racy?…

Bit of a dilemma that one, really.

For myself, I absolutely despise aft sheeting – it should have been banned 40 years ago! I hate being dragged inexorably towards the back of the boat when sailing upwind, I hate the way the sheet snags the traveller when I gybe, and I miss being able to cleat the mainsheet while I do something else.

Also, with the Wayfarer having a relatively generously sized genoa and me having a very inexperienced crew, I like to face forwards through the tacks so I can double check the jib has gone across before I pay off fully onto the new tack; so I end up doing a strange contortion passing both tiller and mainsheet behind my back as I tack!

I’d also be happier with a bridle arrangement rather than a traveller. I find sail tuning much simpler when the mainsheet just controls sheeting angle and kicker controls leech tension.

Problem is that the afore-mentioned inexperienced crew already finds the front end of the boat extremely claustrophopic when tacking, so I’m very reluctant to add a further constriction in the form of a centre mainsheet. So I guess I’ll probably leave things as they are, at least for this season.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mmmmm…

Not sure I completely agree. Aft main pulling yhou towards the aft of the boat? I don’t find this, no more than a centre main pulling you towards the centre of the boat. I suppose the argement is you can cleat off. If racing, I can see the need but if cruising I think holding the main is far safer. If you are finding it difficult to hold then you’re probably overpowered. (Or you could try a ractchet block?) If you want to fiddle around adjusting something it’s probably more seamanlike to reduce power. Yes the mainsheet can catch on the rear quarter but if you watch the clew it will lift momentarily before gybing. At this point yank the main and you’ll find it doesn’t catch.

Inexperienced crew? Well one day they will become experienced (hopefully) and until then, why not ask them to release the genoa, tack and then reset on the new tack. The only time this is difficult is in very light airs and then you have all the time in the world to sort out the genoa.

Nope, sorry, Its aft main for me unless I’m racing.

Again great to hear other points of view though.

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

To attach sheet to Genoa, I copied someones Loop and Stick system.
    Find the middle of the sheet then splice and whipp a loop of slightly thinner line to one side of the middle then splice a single piece about 4inches long to the other side and whip its lenght makeing it stiffer, then put loop through clew and stick through loop. I have uploaded a picture but not sure where it has gone.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.