Latest News: Forums Racing Long distance races?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Algol

What UK long distance races suitable for a Wayfarer are there?

I was at the dinghy show and was sorely tempted by the round Isle of Sheppey. But do folk here know of any other long distance races in the UK. I’m in the north west.

Bob Harland
    Participant

There is the Norfolk Broads 3 rivers race.
    bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

5 and 6 June this year.

Invites have just been sent out so contact Horning Sailing Club if you want to enter.

Superb weekend.

See ya there!

Gary

Lord Birkett in Cumbria.
    Round Mersea Island (Essex)

Quite a few clubs have 6 or 12 hour races.
    E.g. Brightlingsea (East Coast) have a 3 Creeks Crawl and a Round the Islands and an Alresford Creek race and a Clacton and back among others.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our club at South Windermere has a W fleet and runs an annual “Waterhead” race every June, which is basically the full length of Windermere and back again, about 21 miles.

Cracking event if it’s blowing.

Attempted the Isle of Sheppy race last weekend, but not in my Wayfarer. There were a couple of Wayfarer’s taking part, but there is a bridge to go under where you have to capsize your boat to get under and this can slow Wayfarers down when they come up full of water ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ Still thinking about doing it next year in my Wayfarer though.

As for this year? I was helm on an Omega, had a “few” technical hitches and had to retire ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Hoggy

I thought that stepping the mast would be a better Idea or do they insist you capsize? I would think easier to step than to bail out unless of course you have the newer type wayfarer.
    Just a thought!

Hoggy.

Algol

I too would have thought a well-practiced routine of dropping the mast on the pivot pin would have been the best thing, no?

@Hoggy wrote:

I thought that stepping the mast would be a better Idea or do they insist you capsize?

They insist its a capsize, supposed to keep it fair for every class ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„

Robin

There is the Lake Bala long distance race in the Summer, July 10th ish usually I think …

http://www.balasc.org.uk/opens.html

Not hugely long distance .. 3 hours or so on each day. but longer than your average bash around the cans …

Anonymous
    Inactive

How about the Medway Marathon on Sunday 10 July? This race has been run for more than 40 years. It starts and finishes at the Medway Yacht Club and covers about 26miles of the tidal River Medway and its creeks between Upnor and Sheerness. Usually 30-40+ entrants. See http://www.medwayyachtclub.com.

The Dee sailing club holds a LDR for catamarans each year and this year is including a race for Wayfarers, check out Dee-sc.co.uk for more information,takes place 5-6 May, club racing on the 5th and LDR on the 6th.

Vince
    W7584

bigal

Sussex YC hold the Black Rock race on May 12th . Start time tba . This a 12 miles sea race using PY handicaps from Shoreham to Brighton Marina and back . Launching from Shoreham SC usually . Won for the last two years by a Wayfarer but modesty forbids …. !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.