Latest News: Forums General living on wayfarer

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Barker 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR

havill123
    Participant

Hi, looking for some inspiration and ideas on how to live on a wayfarer.
    wondering if anyone has some pictures of the inside of their wayfarer with a tent up as I am looking to make my own tent and kit
    would love any pictures of storage bags, tents, anchors, sleeping bed arrangements & how to keep dry while sleeping on a wayfarer.
    I have a GRP MK2 and looking to do my first sleep over this summer

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

That’s a pretty broad-reaching question! You’d probably gain a lot by getting hold of a copy of the Wayfarer Book, and happily there’s also a lot of information on the internet these days.

Your starting point is obviously your boat, and the Mk2 is a popular choice for cruising – but any W with floorboards has an immediate advantage here.

Tent – decide whether space or simplicity is your your priority; they are (in effect) mutually exclusive.

Storage – drybags are popular, and some people also use BDH-style rigid plastic drums. In a Mk2 you have various options for storing either of these, depending on how quickly and easily you want to access them. Also consider weight distribution, both side to side and fore/aft.

Anchor – the type depends upon the substrate into which you’re anchoring, but popular types include Bruce (claw), CQR (plough) and Danforth. Grapnels are a bit controversial in Wayfarer circles – expect some negative comments if you carry one of these… Anything below about 2 kg is definitely too small; many use up to 5 kg and some even more. You should have at least a couple of metres of chain and sufficient line for a multiple of the greatest depth you’re likely to anchor in (at HW).

Sleeping under the thwart limits the thickness of mattress that you can use, but a Therm-a-Rest type self-inflating mat with or without a thin Karrimat beneath it (to protect the Therm-a-Rest) suits most cruisers. I rcommend a sleeping bag liner (think sandy/muddy feet) and possibly also a bivi bag in case of drips.

My top tip for coastal cruising is to spend a few minutes wiping the floorboards and adjacent areas with a cloth and a little fresh water (carry 5 – 10 litres in total, by the way) to remove any residual salt from sea-water spray before setting up your bedding, otherwise the boat will never properly dry out.

My other top tip is to join an organised UKWA weekend cruise, which will give you the opportunity to see how others solve all these little problems. You’ll see lots of variations on each theme and can then decide which are workable and which are just novelties.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.