Latest News: Forums Technical Lifting a W single-handed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    tempest51

There are a few occasions when I want to work on my boat mid-week. Does anyone have any ideas on how to take a W off and on a trolley single-handed (on grass)?

bigal

At Shoreham it takes three – two to lift the boat and one to slide the trolley under …but we’re a bunch of wimps !!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spinach?

Seriously though, why do you want to? Is it to work on the boat or trailer/trolley? If it’s boat, does it need to come off completely? If you’re trying to work on the underside of the hull you’ll never lift it enough. I’d try and find a way around it. Serious injury or damage seem the most likely outcomes of solo lifting.

Martyn

Swiebertje
    Participant

Try one of those pull bars on the front wheel. Not only allows it to maneuver the trolley around the dinghy park with ease, but it can also be used as a lever to pull the boat back on to the trolley.

By connecting the painter half way up the bar you create a 2:1 purchase and more of you knot it lower. Even without a purchase, with the painter wound around the handle bar I can single handed get my boat back on the trolley simply by pushing the bar down with my own weight. This only works when the bar is at a 45 degree angle. And obviously I have to repeat it a few times, taking in some of the painter each time.

You could also mount a winch on the trolley like people have on trailers (non combi trailers obviously). I have seen it done by an elderly couple, who used a winch to haul out their boat effortlessly.

Last one: Tie the trolley with its axle to a tree behind the trolley. Then tie your boat to the towing hook of a car positioned in front of the trolley. Jam it in in first gear, throttle up and let the clutch come up slowly. I have seen pictures of this process somewhere on the Canadian web site.
    BTW, have someone film the event to share it with us on you-tube. If you do, by all means, let the clutch come up quickly 😈

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

If you want the boat off and onto the grass i would maybe look to the centre roller being the main surport for the hull and the side chocks as more of a surport. The boat may then roll better.
    If you want the boat back on to the trolley again as you have said,I have rolled the hull back so as on the transom then lifted the front onto a trestle to one side and then removed the trolley to work on the hull.
    The boats a hulk, mind your back!!

C P

tempest51

Whilst watching my wife struggling with pulling the boat out of the water the other day, I had a sudden flash of inspiration, and nearly knocked my beer over. What if I launched the boat from the trolley in the normal way onto the water, and then winched her back up on the slipway using rollers to a suitable grassy patch. I could get the wife to hold the mast down after tipping the boat on its side. The worst that could happen would involve the wife getting flicked into the water, but if she were to wear her lifejacket anyway……? Is there anything I haven’t thought about? 😀

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

The bruises to the side of your head when she reads this thread and your marriage maybe??

😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

@tempest51 wrote:

Whilst watching my wife struggling with pulling the boat out of the water the other day… What if I launched the boat from the trolley in the normal way onto the water, and then winched her back up on the slipway using rollers to a suitable grassy patch. 😀

I don’t wish to incur the wrath of your wife but do you really need a winch to get her up the slipway?

Martyn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.