Latest News: Forums General life jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

looking for a vote about life jackets for a family to go cruising. We have a MkII and will use it on the estuary at Instow, Devon. My thoughts are to get the nippers 5,4 and 4, nearly swimming, life jackets 100N, and to get my lady wife and I Musto 50N Regatta bouancy aids. If you feel like commenting could you just say whether you cruise or race and what you use.

Most grateful

Jonny

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is important for children to have a bouyancy aid with a collar to keep their heads out of the water and thigh straps to keep the jacket down so they don’t slip out. I always used Crewsaver Slimfit (blue and yellow) until they were old enough for fashion to dictate something less bulky.
    I have to admit that te type of sailing undertaken by my children when they were young barely warranted the purchase of lifejackets, but mother insisted!
    For parents who are good swimmers Musto regattas would be fine. I don’t suppose you will be crossing the North Sea yet. I cruise and use a Crewsaver vest type bouyancy aide because it has a decent size front pocket. Several people I know use canoe bouyancy aides for this reason.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Matt. agreed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just bought a new one for my son who is 6. He can swim though he prefers swimming underwater for some reason. When I looked at technical info, it became apparent that 100N was only classed as a buoyancy aid. To be considered a lifejacket, the same design needed 150N. I bought a new Baltic jacket from a boatjumble for £25. My daughter, 3, is in a crewsaver jacket that was handed down from friends. My wife and I wear buoyancy vests. Hope this is helpful. Would agree that canoeing buoyancy aids are much better equipped with pockets etc.

Martyn

Just a quick thing on lifejackets for adults / children.

– Make sure you wear yours ALL the time. The children will learn from you. If you think its OK to take it off because the boat is not doing very much, so will they.

– You may want to have a much better life jacket than the children! If one of them fell over board, I bet you could turn around and pick them up in 2 or 3 minutes. BUT if you fell overboard, how long would it take for whoever is left on board to turn the boat round under control and pick you up again?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.