Latest News: Forums Cruising Lechlade to Teddington ASC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Members of the Abbey Sailing Club have decided to cruise the non-tidal section of the Thames next June. We shall camp on the banks and sample the local beverages..ha!

Much to my delight at least five boats will join in with the event. How good it is to be able ot research our log library for tips and advice of those who have been there before.

It is a lovely venue, having done a little reccy on some of the beautifull spots around Tadpole Bridge and Bablock Hythe.

The first leg of the trip will probably go to the Abbey Sailing Club itself, where a barbecue will mark the end of that part. The second leg shall start later in the year.

If anyone has any tips or advice, I would be pleased to hear from them.

Jim 😀

I’ve just been walking some of that section – see electric outboards. Is the intention to try to sail? Are you inviting all comers? Could our non-sailing friends come in a canadian canoe?

Richard

Anonymous
    Inactive

Richard,

Thanks for showing interest in this.

It is all very early stages as yet. A dates has yet to be agreed with members. There has ben a lot of interest and it is tohught there will be about six boats from the ASC involved.

The most likely time will be May 2008. I have just doen a bit of a reccy around lechlade and have yet to do more work on it.

Who are your canadian friends?

Are you a sailor?

Jim

Bob Harland
    Participant

There have been a few rallies in previous years from Lechlade and further downstream. Some of which we have had the pleasure to attend.

There are a lot of bridges, so if you are not well practised at mast lowering you will be! It helps quite a lot if you able to shoot the bridges – otherwise adjust your schedule accordingly.

Also watch out for the odd low telephone line going through locks. As I recall all the overhead power cables had plenty of clearance.

Boat handling skills are pretty important, particularly short tacking and generally manoeuvring in confined spaces.

Hope you have a good trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Bob

Nice to hear from you. It will be a bit of fun I think.

As you say, good practise at shooting the bridges!

It is more of a little boys outing really, just an excuse to sit on the river bank at night and have a beer and a laugh. We shall probably sleep in tents and do a fair bit of motoring.

Regards

Jim

Yes, I am a sailor, though relatively new to Wayfarer cruising. I have 6402, kept at the Wilsonian club on the Medway.

The friends with the canadian canoe are very keen walkers who live in the Lake District – as a lad he rowed down the Thames from Lechlade with school friends, but that was nearly 45 years ago!

Richard

ianhylton

Jim

I am based at Upper Thames Sailing Club at Bourne End (35 miles up stream from Teddington). If you get as far as us the commodore says you are very welcome to stop over, subject to nothing major going on in our calendar. You can pick up a moorong or lay alongside, or alternatively we will find a way of hauling you out. If you need to leave your boats during the week that should not be a problem.

I have only been as far upstream as Wargrave. An excursion down the Hennerton Backwater is good fun – the bridge at the head is so low you will need to take your mast out and lie it on the deck. Henley would also be a good stop over and is about 15 miles upstream from us. I agree with the earlier point about overhead wires. You need to keep an eye out in the locks. To my recollection both Hambledon and Temple locks have overhead telelphone wires so make sure you have room to drop your mast!

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Once you have some provisional dates let me know.

Regards

Ian Hylton
    W9449

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ian,

Thank you very much indeed. I am a Wycombe boy of old. I was not sailing back then however.

It was very sporting of you to make this offer and we would gratefully accept.

Many plans are still underway, I shall make sure you are included in the message thread.

Please send my thanks to yuor commodore along with the invitation to bring your boats along to the Abbey Sailing Club any time you feel like joining us for a sail.

We have a nice clubhouse, with good changing facilites and a small bar/kitchenette. You could even camp in the grounds if you wanted to.

I will let you know how things progress and may pop over to your club sometime when visiting mum!

Regards

ianhylton

Jim

We would be delighted to see you when you are in the area. Drop me a line when you think you might be around – 07941432201.

Regards

Ian

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ian,

Will indeed drop you a line. I shall let you know how things are progressing.

Thanks again for your generous offer

Regards

Anonymous
    Inactive

Obviously, I am very out of condition.

Last Saturday Four Musketeers from the ASC set out from Lechlade in canoes to reccy the river as far as tadpole Bridge for the prposed sail next year.

The Swan at Radcot would provide a lunch stop and we would enjoy a leisurely paddle down stream.

We found a little spot below St Johns Bridge on the bend of the river and slipped into the water. Tom knidly loaned me a small red Slalem type canoe, my first real experience at this sport.

We slipped into the water and paddled upstream back toward St Johns Bridge. For some reason the wretched thing would not remain on a straight course!

Half an hour later, I identified that canoeing was not for me! I can only liken it to floating along the river in the most frustrating fashion, while tearing the sinews of bicep muscle, one by one.

My friends, who had assured me that twelve miles was perfectly achieveable for a first timer, led the way. My craft travelled twice the distance as I slewed from one side of the river to another.

It looked such fun as I had watched eager canoeists passing the ASC with apparent ease. Lock by Lock, we dragged the beastly things out of the water and across to the exit ends of them. I desperately tried to pull the elasticated skirt across the cockpit each time.

Water ran down my sleeves adding to the pleasure of the event. Only the thrill of sliding into the water from the jettys saved me from abstaining from canoes for ever.

I am now happy that a Genoa Tri-Sail would be a fair bet for such a trip along this stretch of the Thames. The sometimes tightly meandering river wit it’s many bridges and locks would undoubtedly be a burden in lowering the mast and boom with a full sail.

But next year, I shall enjoy the comfort of a sensible craft, in which I shall be afforded the luxury of stretching out my legs. The joys of seeing wind fill a sail.

TOM, my generous friend! Thank you for the loan of your canoe for the day. Please forgive the ingrattitude. I am afraid I have become the unnacepatable face of our new Adventurers group, being spoiled by the bourgois comforts of the Wayfarer dinghy, I am unworthy.

If anyone reading this article is considering changing to canoeing, please speak to me first! 😯

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jim,
    Too late! I built myself a sea kayak last winter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Matt,

You go on the sea with it?

The small canoe I borrowed from my pal Tom had no skeg. The thing would not travel in a staright line.

They tied a log to the back, claiming it would help.

When I got home, tired,wet and cold, I didnt even wait for my dinner. It was a hot bath, a scotch and bed for me!

Next year, I shall lay back and motor along the river. The Tri-Sail purely for effect…ha ha!

Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jim,
    I have the opposite problem – the kayak is longer than the Wayfarer so goes superbly in a straight line, but turns like an oil tanker.
    Just getting back to kayak season now. First objective is round Scolt Head Island and then Skegness to hunstanton (if I manage to stop injuring myself).
    Matt

Anonymous
    Inactive

What a magnificent looking craft,

The one I was using was probably half the length!

Of course, I was making a fuss of the situation as entertainment value. But it was pretty hard work!

Since my daughter loaded her I pod onto this computer, it no longer recognises the camera and so I have to remedy that situation before i can post some latest snaps.

Keep in touch Matt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.