Latest News: Forums Cruising Learning from Logs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

As a new member with high aspirations I’ve been busy reading the archive of cruising logs, what a wonderful resource everyone has something to add to the sum of knowledge.

The latest I’ve read is 145 last tack at the needles and I have to offer my great thanks to the author for being so open, However I feel the need to add something I hope you’ll forgive me if this has already been done.
    The author fails to touch on he subject of sail balance. with 2 reefs in the main and a full genoa the tendancy will be to pay off downwind, dumping the main in the gusts will aggrevate this and could well be a factor in the capsize as the natural reaction of the crew is to hang on to the sheet and hike out increasing the leverage forward of the turning point. Please let me know if I’ve got it wrong.

Cheers Roy

Andrew Morrice
    Participant

Hi Roy

Logs are indeed a great resource, partiuclarly if they are “warts and all”.  you are right about sail balance, it is essentially to switch to a small jib or have a balanced roller reefed genoa or you are effectively using a rudderless technique to go downwind whilst trying to upwind!  Not at all helpful in a gust.  Or at all!

Boris W6330 “Delphy”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.