Latest News: Forums Technical Leaky self bailers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR

Just in the process of getting to know my new boat and we seem to be taking in a little more water than I would have expected.

My first thought is whether the self bailers are leaking when in the up/closed position. Is it common for them to leak when closed? Could they in any way have been fitted incorrectly or is there any part that needs to be maintained or replaced? (They work perfectly and drain the hull quickly once we have enough boat speed).

If the self bailers are not the source of the water I’m taking in are there any other likely ‘leak spots’ I should be investigating?

If anyone can offer any comments, it would be much appreciated.

Jonathan
    W8866
    Dumdum

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jonathan……..I have been in a similar position to you as I am pretty much still at the starting end of Wayfaring and I focus on the kids sailing experience rather than quality sailing. I have found the self-bailers hard to use (see previous posting). My experience has been that often when I have thought I have shut them they have infact been left slightly open.

I have read that grains of sand/debris can get stuck in them too but I have always thought that should be simple enough to detect.
    My normal rule of thumb is to start family sailing with the boat dry inside and the bailers kept shut throughout the day having checked them visually from under the hull before we launch. We have only brought home a substantial amount of water when I have been trying to use the self-bailers! ( I am not sure of this but I have heard it said you really have to maintain serious boat speed for them to work)

Also my boat cover is starting to look quite faded so I suspect it is porous to a degree…….I have left the boat dry and returned a couple of weeks later after heavy rain and found a good bucketful or two under the floorboards………if you think you have started with an empty boat and return with a bucketful it might be rainwater (or water left accidentally after washing down afetr sailing)

3 other thoughts
    1…I believe wooden boats can develop problems along the centreboard casing…
    2…..you can get ingress of water through the centreboard bolt hole if it was too loose, but I can’t imagine it would be a huge amount and I would be worried about overtightening and damaging the case.
    3……finally to detect leaks you could fill the hull with water while on its trolley (not too much as the weight of water might damage the boat or trolley.

Cheers Dave
    PS Very much interested what anyone else comes up with.

G.ORilla

Also my boat cover is starting to look quite faded so I suspect it is porous to a degree…….I have left the boat dry and returned a couple of weeks later after heavy rain and found a good bucketful or two under the floorboards………if you think you have started with an empty boat and return with a bucketful it might be rainwater (or water left accidentally after washing down afetr sailing)
    UNQUOTE

I think the water runs down the mast and into theboat that way. I always leave the bailers open when the boat is in the dinghy park

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. Good point re. leaving the bailers open, and boat must be level too.
    (Even if boat is stored perfectly level for max drainage some will collect along centreboard case.) Over winter I stored mine with bows in the air draining out the rear and that was very effective. Now it is only on trolley that is harder to acheive. If going for the completely level draining out the self-bailers do you put something underneath the aft section too to prevent accidental tipping up (bows up) and damage to the rear?…….there are no chains or stakes where I keep mine

Anonymous
    Inactive

Elvestrom bailers (now Anderson) have a self adhesive seal underneath the
    mating surface
    Release bailer from the top and it swings down out the way and yo can see
    black foam rubber seal from underneath.
    Changed mine this year,after launching with bailers open.
    water in boat on dry land lets you see the leak

roger 1759

I think I may have resolved this, all it needed was the six bolts on each bailer tightening up. Dont you kick yourself when you’ve overlooked something so blatently obvious ….. thanks for the above comments and suggestions – all interesting and appreciated.

Jonathan
    W8866
    Dumdum

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.