Latest News: Forums Technical Leaky centre board case

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BluTak 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • AUTHOR

Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

I’ve tracked down a leak in W2713 to the centreboard case. I wondered if anyone could advise the best way to approach a repair.

20 litres of water tipped in when level on the trailer streamed out via the edges of the slot, so sadly not the bolt.

I’m presuming that the centreboard and the grounding strip/s will all need to come off. Best with the boat in its side?

Is there a known location where the leak is likely to be? I’d guess the corners would be the culprits? Glass or sika?

Edit to add: a composite, so grp hull

Thanks in advance 🙂

BluTak
    Participant

My old fibreglass hull leaked through the screws holding the metal strips to the keel. It’s not easy finding the source of the leaks due to the construction of the keel. You can remove the screws and epoxy the holes before putting them back but you’ll have a job getting the screws out again if you need to. A better approach could be to epoxy the holes then drill and self tap when the epoxy has gone off with a squirt of sealant/ seakaflex. (If you do epoxy the screws in you can try heating them before trying to get them out to soften the epoxy with a big soldering iron)

Or if the screws still have bite squirt sikaflex in and then replace screws. Probably not easy as the existing screw heads are probably damaged. Definitely replace with new screws!

Or take the keel bands off. Fill in the hull holes with epoxy and either reposition the holes (what happens to the holes if you fit them “front to back”?) or fit new keel bands. You can buy half round brass a lot cheaper from a steel stockist. Drill the clearance holes in the band after bending or they could kink. When you fix them bed them in with Sikaflex. I put stainless runners on the bilge keels after beefing them up as they always get damaged. Simple if the boat is upside down. Don’t let the boat sit on the bilge keels on the trailer as this is a major source of damage to the stiffeners inside the hull

Captain Tolley’s creeping crack cure is pretty magic for hairline cracks. The bailers can be another source of leaks. I took mine out and refurbished them and the boat is bone dry now (so far 10 years). You can get new gaskets etc from chandlers

17mm x 3.5mm nitrile O rings (eBay) should cure any bung Leaks!

Note that you need to get the holes dry before applying adhesive. Acetone (nail varnish) is pretty good for cleaning holes and can also help dry them as it is soluble with water. Followed by a hot air gun or hair dryer

a temporary fix is a tube type pump but it’s not good if you sleep on board and it leaks above the bottom boards during the night

one more warning. If you roll the boat over take care not to damage the stainless shroud plates that stick out and are easily damaged. Stainless work hardens with bending and you can weaken them. Easy enough to avoid with a car tyre carefully placed if you know about it. ( guess how I found out!)

I hope this helps, good luck

Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

That’s a brilliant and detailed reply (and exactly the sort of advice I’d hoped to get) thanks so much for taking the time to type it out. It looks like the boat will be heading into the lawn next weekend then.

Ill post back here here once I start exploring:-)

BluTak
    Participant

For the next instalment it’s easy ways to make a new mast out of Fosters Beer cans. I miss Swiebertje off this forum. He would have made his from Grolsch bottles and written pages all well thought out as to why they were the best. I got many a good tip off him.

Good luck

BluTak
    Participant

Apologies – acetone is nail varnish remover, not nail varnish. It used to be easily bought in 1 litre bottles but these days I buy small quantities from cut price chemists.

Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

A bit of fettling over the weekend revealed some interesting things…

the main one being the starboard side wooden trim that runs alongside the centreboard casing was rotten and sodden. There was a thin skin of glass over the top of it, which was easily removed. Plenty of poorly saturated glass low down in the centreboard casing. All looked a bit rough. So…

A fat bead from a tube of nearly expired sika flex has been squeezed along there now. I’m going to glass a strip all the way along to secure and double waterproof it. Then turn the boat over and see what other delights await there!

BluTak
    Participant

Ian I think I may know what’s wrong!

I had the same problem with my boat.  The whole top of the case flexed if you put your foot against it and the two halves of the open slot could be squeezed together. All this flexing can obviously lead to cracking and leaks at the keel. With the boat upside down I made a laminated beam from 4mm plywood as shown on the photos. This goes from end to end of the case. I made it first embedded in polythene so that it was the correct shape. I then took it out and cleaned it up before epoxying it in place after removing the rotten wood. This means that you have two beams either side of the case running full length. You could fashion the beams from wood (eg oak) but I found it easier to laminate as I could borrow a lot of clamps. If you coat it fully in epoxy it should not rot again. This is not such a daunting task when the boat is upside down.

Another job I did at the same time was to strengthen the mast step. I fitted stainless steel plates outside the cheeks as shown on the photos and carefully fitted a large piece of wood between the keel and front of the centre plate case. This is a tight fit to ensure that the mast foot weight is being taken by the keel . If you look really carefully at the photo you can see that the gell coat has cracked across the front of the slot. This is caused I think by the mast foot driving down the front of the case and is why I have inserted a wooden block.  It is probably worth strengthening the keel at this point with some resin impregnated tape but be careful to leave the “limber holes” for the water to drain through.

You can see the stainless plates and resin/glass strengthening of the keel in the photo. The block of wood is partly hidden by the toestraps (which are screwed  to it)

If the boat is like mine you will find that the mast cheeks and step arrangement is not fastened to the foredeck it just sits in a recess and can be wiggled out. Mine was cracked when I took it out but the plates and bolts hold it together

I have no leaks and the case doesn’t flex. I don’t apply the recommended tension to the rig as I am frightened of the mast foot being driven through the bottom of the boat. I do use a highfield lever though and it is a definite effort to tighten it up so I guess I’m around 2/3 recommended tension

The original glass Wayfarers were built from very heavy laminates before they learned how to make them lighter. This means that there are a lot of older ones around some 50 years old but they are often in need of repair. Since they are pretty solid repairs can be done where a more modern boat would be consigned to the bin. As you’ve probably noticed I’m not too worried about cosmetics! One of the great things about a Wayfarer is that once you have a solid hull you can source nearly all the other bits secondhand for a song. Masts, booms, sails, rudders, centreboards even tents appear as there are quite a few hulls around that people won’t repair

Anyway once again Good Luck!

Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

I think I’ve fixed it! Although not had the chance to get it in the water since…

On the starboard side there was a strip of very rotten wood along the side of the centreboard case at hull level. This had a very thin layer of glass over it. I’ve removed this and scrapped out the rotten wood.

A couple of large beads of Sika and several layers of glass have been put down in its place. I have the port side a good prod too, that seemed ok but has a couple of layers of glass on it too now.

She will be in the water again next weekend so fingers crossed

Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

To add, I suspect there is a crack along the centreboard case corner. I will remove the rubbing strip and investigate. But I didn’t have sufficient manpower to flip the boat where it was.

Ill add this to the to-do list!

BluTak
    Participant

Sounds good! I assume this wood is inside the hull in the corner against the case? Mine doesn’t have any wood there ( I don’t think!) so I wonder if the wood has been added because of a leak or if yours is of a different construction. I have reinforced mine with some strips of glass and epoxy. Good luck turning it over, it’s heavy, and remember to protect the shroud plates. It would be good to see a photo. Incidentally after fairly major work I painted the inside of my hull with white International Danboline bilge paint and it has stood up pretty well.

let us know how you get on!

Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

The bad news is that it’s still leaking. Slower than before…

I’m going to check the ends and joins of my glass work and put another thin, oversaturated topcoat on then Gelcoat the new section to ensure a watertight seal. I used to be a laminator, making climbing walls, and although a bit rusty am fairly secure if my abilities to get some decent glass down. Messier than I used to be though!!

I’ll also be flipping the boat to take off the keel strips. I thought that was going to be avoided but seems not.

BluTak
    Participant

As I said mine leaked through keelband  screwholes. We were camping in at the original  golfe du semaine festival and the leak appeared through the wooden cleat screws which the toestraps are strapped to. Our sleeping bags were getting wet. I fixed it as a temporary repair using “underwater epoxy stick” and then sorted it permanently (I hope!) when we came back to the uk. Once it’s upside down it’s not such a big job. At least no one will see your handiwork unless you capsize. Good luck. It is nice to have a boat that doesn’t leak! While it’s upside down you could go the whole hog and refurbish the bailers which can also leak. You can get new rubbers for them from chandlers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.