Latest News: Forums Technical Leaking front tank on a Mark II

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    hatos13
    Participant

My front tank on my Mark II-GRP is leaking. I have tried soap bubbles but I think it is leaking right forward which is virtually inaccessible. Can anybody suggest how I can check where it is leaking and if it is leaking at the front, how on earth can it be repaired?

Thanks

mattL

I did have a leak in the front tank, when I tried to located it I used a plumbers smoke pellet (it made the tank stink) but it did produced 11 cubic metres of smoke, that made it easy to locate.

Unfortunately mine was just the seal so I cannot suggest how to repair it.

sorry

Dave8181

Another location to check is the joint between the buoyancy tank bulkhead and the hull floor.

I find that as well as the soap bubbles method, another way to find leaks is to buoyancy test the boat in a very quiet environment & time of day, so as to to hear the air leaking out. A piece of tubing, with one end run along any suspect joints and the other end to your ear (like a stethoscope), can then pinpoint the leak.

Dave8181

Russell

You need a thin assistant. The difficult bit is getting over the lip on the edge of the tank. Both my sons 16 and 18 can get in – and turn around and come out head first.

Russell

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Good Lord Russell,dont you feed your boys !!!!!

Try looking under the boat and check that the keelband screws are all in place.
    When the pilot holes are drilled for the screws the drill bit can go right through the hull,leaving a hole if the screw fulls out.

Replace screws with Araldite !

CP 🙂

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Matt,

Why do you sail with a Seal in your boat and what was wrong with him or her anyway??

Did the smoke pellet get rid of the smell of fish???

CP 😆 😡 😉

John1162

A “large” friend of mine had a leak between the hull moulding and the top of the front buoyancy tank. He sealed it by cleaning the area with acetone then using glass fiber mat and resin. He said that it was a tedious job performed using long sticks. The matting had to be well soaked with resin before being stuck to the joint which had been coated with resin. The end result worked but it was not the best looking job he had done.
    I wonder if anyone has used Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure to solve this problem?

Russell

I suppose it might be possible to do it with just resin. How about – turn the boat upside down so the leaking area is at the lowest point and support it so you can get underneath. Use a cup on a stick through an inspection port to pour resin on the leak inside the tank. Pressurise as required by the buoyancy test to help resin find it’s way into the hole. Wait for it to set and test for leaks again.

I’ve not tried this but I’ve seen a similar technique recommended for Laser hull/deck joins.

One disadvantage is that you will need plenty of manpower to turn the boat to the right attitude.

Russell

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you checked that it’s not leaking through the keel band screws?

Richard

Dave8181

@Russell wrote:

I suppose it might be possible to do it with just resin.

If there is a crack it may be because there is a stress concentration, such as where the flexible hull meets a rigid panel. When I tried using just resin to fix a front tank crack, the crack reappeared within a year. Once you have mixed the resin you might as well add layers of glass fibre.

Dave8181

Gerbyrne

Keelband bolts worth checking but see separate post at http://wayfarer.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477
    Gerry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.