Latest News: Forums Cruising launching at falmouth cornwall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anybody got any experience of sailing at falmouth would prefer campsite with launch facilities
    we plan for next june 08
    mike W23

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mike,
    the Carrick Roads (Falmouth) is my home sailing ground. My wife and I started sailing here two years ago. We haven’t yet found a campsite close enough with launching access in this area. Yet, there are excellent sheltered spots to anchor and sleep on board. I’ve yet to convince the wife that a Wayfarer offers very comfortable sleeping quarters! I can however, recommend launching from Loe Beach (at the head of Carrick Roads) – access all states of tide, car park, room to store the boat, cafe, watersports centre(loebeachwatersports.com for more info and pics) and a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. If I find that illusive campsite I’ll let you know. Any questions drop me a line.
    All the best, Richard Haynes

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the info
    mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

My family and I had a great sailing holiday in Falmouth this summer. We stayed at Carnon Downs Campsite which I can highly recommend. Loads of space per pitch, excellent facilities and a reasonable price for what you get. We were going to launch from Loe Beach but the road down is very steep and narrow. So instead we launched from Mylor. Its a bit of a trek but you can pay to leave the boat there all week and launching is free on the public slip. Easy access then to St. Mawes, Falmouth, up to King Harry etc.

Loved it!

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all. I checked out Looe Beach/ Feock and I would agree the road is steep and narrow in places, a real potential nightmare trailing if you meet stuff coming the other way in high season. Basically it would put me off for a day sail in high season but is otherwise well worth the trip, eg for a longer stay. Equally Mylor sounds excellent Martyn. Anyone got any experience of the Helford River, I really fancy that from the map! I spent a week at Fowey (penmarlam quay) with campsite and will happily write about it here if anyone wants to know. And anyone who wants to let me know of the perfect campsite with slipway anywhere in the UK ……….private message if you don’t want to tell the world!
    cheers Dave

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Dave,

I sailed from Mylor up the Helford River to Gweek earlier this year. It’s a really nice sail with plenty of variety. We had accomodation elsewhere so had a complicated series of car and taxi trips to facilitate the return trip with one night hauled out between. A better (and cheaper!) arrangement would be to stay overnight in the Helford, perhaps with boat tent. You might even be able to land camp at Gweek…

The boatyard at Gweek has a concrete slip which may have a bigger boat blocking it waiting to float on the tide. This happened to us on the evening when we arrived, but only delayed us for about half an hour.

I recommend an outboard or oars for the very sheltered top part of the Helford River, which btw is completely free from moorings and virtually free of other boats (probably because of the shoal conditions – ideal Wayfarer territory). Take binoculars and a bird book if you’re interested. We found ouselves overtaking the rising tide on the way up, so just stopped sailing and drifted along in silence (see photo – it’s mud on the left). The pub at Gweek is convenient and did a nice meal as I recall.

The wind freshened on the return trip and once out of the Helford we planed for much of the way back, then explored some of the creeks, including the obligatory visit to the Pandora Inn (below).

All highly recommended.

Hi Mike
    I’ve been reading all the contributions on this subject and offer my own experiences of sailing in this lovely estuary. For the last three years we have spent our family summer holiday, camping and sailing in Falmouth. Our boat has always been kept at Mylor marina where it can be stored in their boatyard or moored to a pontoon. This year it cost about £50 for one weeks boat storage and car parking – it also includes the use of their excellent changing facilities and showers. Mylor also has a well stocked chandlery, restaurants and a quayside cafe that serves early morning English breakfasts that will satisfy the hungriest of crews! This year to prevent a mutiny we hired a Canadian canoe from Windsports, Mylor so that our three children and dog could escape from their ageing parents and explore the estuary by themselves.

I’ve also launched from the public slipway and dinghy park in the centre of the town next to the National Maritime Museum of Cornwall. The slipway is quite steep but accessible at most states of the tide. Car parking is a problem in the town centre and I would recommend Mylor for convenience.

If you’ve never sailed at Falmouth before you’ll love it. The Carrick Roads provide plenty of sheltered water and there are numerous creeks to explore. The Smugglers Cottage at Tolverne, past King Harry’s Ferry is worth a visit – you can tie up alongside their pontoon and enjoy a pint whilst overlooking the estuary. There are so many other places to visit – St Mawes, St Just and Loe beach to name just a few. A day cruise to the beautiful Helford Estuary and a visit to the Maritime Museum to see Frank Dye’s Wanderer must be an essential part of your itinerary.

Falmouth is our favoured sailing destination and worthy of a UKWA rally?

With regard to campsites, I would recommend Cosawes as its only 10minutes drive from Mylor, good showers, clean and quiet. I have seen holiday cottages advertised with private launching facilities – but at a price!

Paul Martin
    Ketchup W8819

Tony Green
    Participant

Hi Mike
    Can recommend Helford and Carrick Roads. We have spent a couple of holidays in apartments at the Ferry Boat Inn, Helford Passage and put the Wayfarer on a mooring (owned by the ferry – not cheap but saves a lot of effort). Evening sail to Gweek on the tide, day sails south as far as manacle point – nice pub at Porthallow and up into Carrick Roads. Museum, Pandora Inn …. best out of high season.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.