Latest News: Forums Introductions Landlubber buying a Wayfarer boat – Help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Kimberley Ainsworth
    Participant

Hello Everyone – I am a newbie  to the Wayfarer Clan, and I am swarming all over the website.  I hope soon to have a nice Mk2.

I am viewing a couple of boats over the next two weeks, and wanted to ask for sage advice on the top 5 things I should check for…?   I do love a good list!

Points will be awarded for humour…as sailing is all about fun.   Isn’t it..?

Thank you kindly.

Sean Fitzpatrick
    Participant

Kimberley, as a 50 year old grey haired old bloke,who has messed about in boats most of his life and has several in various states of decay and scattered about on this little island, I feel the need to reply.

I have had a new boat, some nice boats, and some which would have been better placed on bonfires.

My first go in a Wayfarer was last season, and it is a return to dinghies from sailing bigger boats.

Your budget might be £500 or it may be £5000 and this is going to have a huge impact on the boat you can get. How about you give an idea of budget and your experience and sailing area and what you want to achieve with the boat.

My club has owners with brand new boats right down to two guys with a hand painted old Wayfarer they picked up for peanuts on ebay. Everyone seems to love them and enjoy them in different ways, from pottering at the club on a summers day, racing or one lad who sails and camps on his boat, taking it away and cruising on the sea. I have had two now – my first was set up for cruising and my current boat is for racing.

Interestingly my first was leased from my sailing club for 3 months. They also have Wayfarers for members to hire for half or a full day.

Welcome to the Association and the Wayfarer class.

Andrew Morrice
    Participant

in addition to what you want the boat to be capable of (pottering on sunny days with safety cover vs open sea crossing vs racing competitively) It really depends what Mark of Wayfarer you are looking at.  I know nothing about the GRP (Mk2) boat.

With woodies (Mk1) everyone looks at the deck.  That is the easiest thing to see and to put right, so isn’t a big issue.

The key points to look at are all obscure: Check if the woodwork sound under the floorboards generally, particularly the jointing between the centreboard case and the keel, which takes huge stress especially when trailing, the areas around the self-bailers which are prone to damage  and around the tabernacle and the shroud plates which take much of the rig tension.   Can it pass a bouyancy test?

Check the whole of the bottom of the boat for dodgy paintwork, and assume that damaged or loose paint is a tip of a large iceberge of deterioration beneath.

Poke everything.

Summary, it doesn’t matter if the deck is tatty, the basic structure of the hull must be sound, or you will have either a lot of work, a lot of expense, or a boat that falls apart when you least want it too!

happy hunting

“Boris” Andrew Morrice, Cruising Secretary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.