Latest News: Forums Technical Klonk!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been gradually going around filling dings and scratches, removing surplus hardware and generally sprucing up Kez. I was removing the stemhead fitting (that’s not surplus, I just wanted to do a good job repairing some star crazing around there), and removed three screws through the deck ok. When I started on the fourth in the vertical bit of the deck (above two more in the stem of the hull) I heard a “klonk” as the nut on the end of what turned out to be a bolt, fell off under the foredeck.

Are there any Mark II owners out there who have a cunning plan how to get the nut back on again? It’s about 1.2 metres forward of the opening under the deck and actually out of sight ; even a small child would have trouble getting in there. How did they put the nuts on when they built the boat in the first place? 🙄

And while I am here, I have not yet managed to get to a Wayfarer meet, if I did I would be very interested in comparing jib sheet fairlead track positions. Mine are on the side deck just abaft the shroud plates. All the images and photographs I have seen have them on the forward seats, the same in “The Wayfarer Book”. Am I dreadfully behind the times or are ther successfull boats out there with their tracks on deck?

And what do you think a hole through the foredeck just forward and the port of the mast with a turning block attached to the side of the tabernacle just below the hole be for?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Spike wrote:

And what do you think a hole through the foredeck just forward and the port of the mast with a turning block attached to the side of the tabernacle just below the hole be for?

Spinnaker pole downhaul?

Anonymous
    Inactive

John,
    1. I think small child suitably bribed is the best solution for your bolt.
    2. The hole and turning block are as Spike says probably a spinnaker pole dow/up haul.
    3. The genoa works more efficiently to windward when it has a narrower sheeting angle i.e.on the side benches. However it is very important to get the angle of pull on the sheet correct. What you should try to achieve is a similar degree of curve on the leach of the genoa as the front of the main. It is this slot between the two that increases the efficiency of the rig as a whole. Therefore if you do move the fairleads inboard, you need to have sone means of adjusting them forward and aft.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah well, all I need now is a small child with a sense of direction. I was wondering about supergluing the nut on the end of a longish small diameter aluminium tube I have knocking around, thread a piece of string through the bolt hole then inside the tube to guide it into position (two person job). This afternoon I have even been thinking about cutting a hole for my hand to reach inside; desperate measures….

I wonder if the previous owner found the sheeting angle too loose with the jib/genoa fairlead track out on the side decks because there are a couple of suspicious cleats on the vertical break of the foredeck (either side of the mast) where I wonder if a barber hauler arrangement allowed the sheets to be drawn in towards the centre of the boat for a close hauled beat.

The hole being for the down-haul is a distinct possibility, but I have never had a spinnaker before so I can’t quite imagine how all the bits of string and stuff they require go together; I have much to learn.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Things on the edge of the foredeck are probably jib fairleads/cleats.
    I suppose it would be frowned on if you were to entice one of your neighbours children round with vague talk of sweets and a bolt!

mudskipper

I suspect that is one of the more dangerous technical suggestions that has been put forward âť—

How about:
    – thin cotton down through the hole and back to where you can reach it.
    – Tie the BOLT to the cotton
    – Add a drop or two of super glue
    – Pull the bolt back up through the hole, pull it tight to get the glue to hold it.
    – Add the nut to the top (holding the bolt with mole grips to hold it tight).
    – Cut off the top of the bolt that is no longer needed.

W10143

Excellent lateral thinking!!!

Now I just wonder if I can use that technique to through bolt into buoyancy tanks??!!

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey, good idea, I was worrying how to stop the nut rotating(assuming I ever get it hackled onto the bolt).

I’m impressed.

I’ll let you know how I solved it.

admin

Another suggestion
    This works for replacing a rivet in a boom with a nut and bolt.
    Need 2 people, a hardwood batten from B&Q, blutack, and a thin nail.
    I assume you can see light where the bolt is missing.
    Stick the nut on the end of the batten with blutack.
    Person in the boat manoeuvres the nut to approximately the right position.
    Person in front uses the thin nail to line the nut up correctly.
    Put in the bolt and hope for the best.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmm, not sure the nut will stay still while I tighten the bolt.

I wonder how the makers fix the stemhead plate? The same problem nust have presented itself when the boat was built…

Anonymous
    Inactive

how about a suitable length of dowl.Cut one end square to fit correct socket and use blue tack to hold nut in place ?
    Roger 1759

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Spike,

Regarding the sheeting angle etc, I found that my old genoa was virtually unuseable with fairleads/tracks mounted on the side benches. The fairleads would have needed to be about halfway along the rear benches to achieve a good balance between downward and backward pull on the sheet, because the benches are so much lower than the side deck. Leading the sheets through the fairleads on the front benches gave a tight genoa leech but a very slack foot.

I briefly experimented with pulley blocks on rope loops attached to the fairleads to give a more horizontal angle of pull, but most of the advantage of the tighter sheeting angle was lost, as the sail just pulled the loop out towards the side deck.

I accepted the inevitable and replaced the (very old) genoa.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is possible to get a small, non-claustrophobic adult to hold the nut in place. When I worked abroad as part of a dinghy team running 12 wayfarers, we would often need to do some work on the stem fitting. Persuading a female member of the team with bottles of beer seemed to work quite well. I’m 6, 5″ so there was no hope of me getting in there! However, how about fixing the correct size screwdriver to the end of a broomstick and putting the bolt in from the inside. A large blob of blutac should be enough to line up with the hole. Then you can hold it in place while the nut is attached, remove blutac if necessary. Re-align screwdriver and tighten away.

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Martyn, Dave and Roger, and others who have made good suggestions. I will try these techniques and feed back to you what works.

I have decided to do a paint job on the deck (given up on trying to match the colour and having used epoxy resin, I ned to protect it from uv), so the next step is a bold one, remove all the bolts and take the stem fitting off! Expect to hear muffled swearing from under the fore deck while I (or a passing slender female who enjoys beer) try to fit it back in a few weeks time.

Spike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.