Latest News: Forums Technical kicker woes!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    suffolktim
    Participant

Hey guys – luckily this happened in the dinghy park – and I didn’t realise the cost of these blocks until I got home!

photo broken_zpsqkjw0xnc.jpg

My solution tonight, with bits that I could find, is below….but not sure that it is powerful/large enough….though it has a v jammer, and two pulleys? The line is around 5-6mm, and seems ok….but looking for a better solution – without to much cash input!! Couldn’t find the name for the block I have used, or many other options for alternatives?

photo kicker_zps0n2pnbgi.jpg

Appreciate any ideas…

cheers guys!!

Fredexi
    Participant

I think you will have trouble releasing the v block. I would bring the tail aft to a cheap(er) cleat on center board case. 4 to 1 seems a bit low and could be doubled by adding a single pulley on the boom, with one end fixed to bottom of mast and tail to top of V block. Roger

Swiebertje
    Participant

4 : 1 us good enough for pottering about. Racers like a 16 : 1 purchase but that is mainly to allow precise adjustment, you don’t need the force of a 16 : 1 purchase. The flag line you used may be a bit hard to get out of the jammer, also it may have too much stretch and I am not sure about its strength.

I would probably go and look for a slightly thicker, double braided 6mm polypropylene line. That stuff is good enough for pottering about and it does not go all the way to the end of the V-jammer. The racers choice would probably be Dyneema, but racers have sponsors that pay for that type of rope.

john1162
    Participant

I agree with Swiebertje.  My kicker is an 8:1 cascade system that will bend my old boom with not too much bother.  I would have shared a photo with you but couldn’t upload it.

john1162
    Participant

suffolktim
    Participant

Hey guys – thanks for all of your replies….the rope you see is just the stuff I had knocking around the house. I will pick up some more suitable stuff before the weekend.

I picked up the item with the jammer at the cruising conference – I could do with another one. Dont suppose anyone knows its name, as I couldn’t find another!

Cheers!

Tim

Swiebertje
    Participant

I think it is a modified RWO R4961 fiddle block with V-jammer.
    See here. Near the bottom of the page. Or Google.

suffolktim
    Participant

Thank you for the heads up!

I emailed Barton directly with photos of the broken item (same ones that I posted here), and the response was fantastic. They said it was unusual for that item to break, and that they will repair it for me, free of charge, if I send it back! Goes to show why it’s worth buying quality!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.