Latest News: Forums Technical kicker pulled out of ALU mast – best ways of fixing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR
    bfennema

Over the week end in a nice breeze we heard two bangs and had pulled the bracket that the kicker shackle is resting on out of the mast.

The mast is aluminium and the mast had corroded around the rivets.

Somebody made the sensible suggestion of using a shackle (with the bolt going through the two holes either side of the mast) and use this as a mount.

That should work but on my D shackle of 8 mm the eyes are too big on one hole to fit through. A narrower D shackle would not span the gap.

So I can enlarge the offending hole or drill two new holes and pop rivet the bracket back on – but then I have 4 holes in the mast.

Questions:
    a) is there a way of using a thinner shackle or a different kind of shackle.
    b) are monel rivets essential ?
    c) is there a better way of doing this ?

If the shackle would fit I can see it making a sound repair.

For the moment a piece of dynema might have to do !

All the best

krgough
    Participant

Hi Boris

Just had the same “kicker ripping out of the mast” experience. What did you do about it in the end?

regards

Keith

Fantasia

The original mast on my boat had had the same problem when I bought it. It had been caused by corrosion weakening the area around the stainless strap attachment at the base of the mast (galvanic corrosion?). The problem was resolved by attaching the kicker to a shackle attached to the mast step and not to the mast at all. This worked fine, even with high kicker loads, but did leave two ugly holes where the strap had been. I have renewed the mast since and have never had any qualms about applying a full load to the kicker. How hard is a full load? With my 12:1 kicker it is as hard as I can pull it and that is quite hard.

krgough
    Participant

Hi,

I did think of putting something down onto the mast step. There is a bolt that runs through holes in the track that sets how far forward the mast foot can move. In my track there is a spare bolt a few holes further forward – I could just put a shackle round that but I’m fairly worried about damaging the track?

I think the damage may have been partly caused by jybing with the kicker still on – probably a cardinal sin – but in my view if if can’t take that sort of punishment then sooner or later it will happen by mistake anyway and cause a breakage.

New masts seem to come in at about £700 which I will struggle to justify.

PS – anyone got a 2nd hand one they want to sell – somewhere nr southampton

regards

Keith

Swiebertje
    Participant

Bare masts are much cheaper. Drilling and filing holes and moving the parts from the old to the new mast isn’t a difficult job. The only thing that may be hard to do is putting in the re-enforcement for the mast bolt. Maybe that job is better left to the supplier.

A few weeks ago I saved 70% on a new boom that way. (Also because I told the supplier I had no need for a VAT receipt. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more 😉 ).

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

You will not be so lucky with a bare mast section,I am sure they do not sell them !

A boom section is made extra long then cut to size for each class by agents but Wayfarer sections and most classes have batches made the right lengths so that there are no cut ends that are not anodized.

In this country being close to the supplier we do not have the same choices as you may have in Europe. Your agents have to cover many classes so will get bare boom tube to help with that sevice, we are nearer to the supplier so we get the finished tube.

C P

bfennema

Hi Keith and others,

It is not the prettiest repair, but fully functional. You do end up with a twist in the kicker since it is now 90 degrees rotated from previous alignment but that does not seem to affect operations.

I did manage to get a shackle of sufficient width though by grinding some excess material of the eyes that the bolt goes through so it is all a bit more stream lined. After that a judicious tap with a hammer put the shackle in through the holes left by the rivets. The kicker now sits in the bend of the shackle with the bolt being near the mast.

This has served for the last season and we have been out in F5 with it so no bad effects thus far all things considered. How long it will last I do not know but it has bought me time in the mean time.

All the best.

B.

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

You will not be so lucky with a bare mast section,I am sure they do not sell them !

I am not sure if the Dutch agent can weld the pivot tube in, but I am sure I can buy a mast without spreaders and sheaves. He puts them on only after receiving an order. I think there is an economical reason too, it would be a waste of money and space to stock masts with all equipment on. The Dutch agent showed me his milling rig (set-up by Seldén) to accurately mill holes. He told me he has sections available to suit many boats. Only the position of the hounds, spreaders and sheaves differ. I did not ask him about the pivot hole though. Maybe there are just two or three base masts to solve the pivot hole issue?

Are you saying your only option is to buy a mast complete with spreaders and what not? I am having a hard time believing that. Surely there must be an option to replace a broken mast by re-using good parts from the old one? From an efficiency view I can’t imagine Seldén stocking only completely rigged masts.

Anyway, it can’t hurt to ask.

krgough
    Participant

Hi Boris

I went down to the club last night and tidied up the holes that were left in the mast – I managed to thread a bow shaped shackle through the holes (as you did) and I think it might work ok – lets see. In the worst case I’ll have to refit the tang a bit further up the mast.

Re: blank masts – It seems that you can’t buy a completely blank mast (I just phoned a dealer nr southampton) You can buy one without rigging but it’s still around £500+vat. This would still have the spreaders and I suppose the sheaves etc. Still v. expensive for a boat that is only worth 2-3k (I suppose it’s worth a lot less without a mast). Anyway – I will work around this problem I think.

regards

Keith

bfennema

Glad it worked and happy sailing !

B.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.