Latest News: Forums Cruising Jib sheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Roger
    Participant

Hi there, Just had a play with my new Jib from Edge Sails,fits and looks real good. However,something I had’nt considered,Jib Sheet length,as the Genoa sheet is too short.

Can anybody out there tell me the correct length for the Jib please?

Or perhaps theres a system that people use whereby its posible to use the same sheets for the two sails?

Swiebertje
    Participant

The length depends: Do you have a furler? Do you prefer endless sheeting or not?

I used some cheap thin twine to test fit. When I was satisfied I measured the length of twine.
    Always buy some extra length. It is easy to cut excess length off some but it is impossible to cut some ON.

Roger
    Participant

Thanks for your reply swiebertje,certainly not endless.I like your idea with the twine.
    I don’t have a furler,but I thought that perhaps a universal system could be used when changing sails and just clipping the new sail to the existing sheet.Is this something others do when cruising, and if so, how?

Swiebertje
    Participant

I currently use a reef-able Genoa system (Bartels) but on my old boat I used to have a separate Genoa and a small Jib. The system I use to attach the sheet is called, hold on to your hat, “knots”.

In the old situation I had only the tacks of both sails fixed to the bow. When changing I had to re-attach the sheet and the halyard. The unused sail was warped and then stored like a sausage over the deck. I have always used a single or continues sheeting system. If you loose your sheet with a dual sheeting system you have to move to leeward to grab it. In heavy winds that holds the risk of a capsize, not so with a continues sheet which you can always grab next to your knee, even when hiked out.

With dual sheets there is a clever system where you twine the middle of the sheet in to a loop with a short second piece of sheet. The loop goes through the sail and the extra piece of sheet goes through the loop it preventing the loop from sliding out of the sail. To secure this knot, a plastic stopper at the end of the short piece of sheet ensures it won’t slide out of the loop. With the loop tight the stopper cannot pass the loop. Perhaps it is better explained by a picture, have a look at the third picture (scroll down) here: Wayfarer Institute of Technology (WIT)

mhardman

With dual sheets there is a clever system where you twine the middle of the sheet in to a loop with a short second piece of sheet. The loop goes through the sail and the extra piece of sheet goes through the loop it preventing the loop from sliding out of the sail. To secure this knot, a plastic stopper at the end of the short piece of sheet ensures it won’t slide out of the loop. With the loop tight the stopper cannot pass the loop. Perhaps it is better explained by a picture, have a look at the third picture (scroll down) here: Wayfarer Institute of Technology (WIT)

I’m using this method on the jib sheets and the main halyard – works a treat. Beats tying two bowlines every time I sail, anyway! Whatever I do I just can’t get my head around that knot.

Roger
    Participant

I,ve decided to go for the endless sheet solution,as sugested by Sweibertje, which I tried out last W/E,and was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use. At first I had expected all that rope to get in the way,but of course it did’nt. Also I’ve adopted a very simple way of attaching the ends of the sheet, which the very helpfull assistant at Pinnell and Bax surgested. All you do is thread each end through the cringle from opposite sides, and then tie a figure of eight knot, super.

On the test sail it all worked very well, although Ithink I shall shorten the sheet when I’m sure of the best length tomake it.

The figure of eight knots did’nt pull through either, so I think all in all a very good result.
    One of the not so obvious advantages of this forum, is the ability to use it as a sounding board to confirm or otherwise, your own ideas. But it’s still nice to get sugestions and advice from other members.

Thanks for your imput. Roger.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.