Latest News: Forums Technical Jib Sheet Cleat Position

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR

Good evening,

My wife and I have recently become the owners of 8571 to replace our Sabre 27 in the hope for some more varied sailing both on the coast and around the broads. I am sure I will have plenty of questions but will start with this one. Our Jib sheets have no fairleads or cleats resulting in one having to hold them continually. Can anyone advise or send me a picture of the best place to position these and make life easier for single handed sailing. Many thanks, Andrew

admin

Andrew, there are variations on this topic, some cruisers put them on the side deck, racers on the front seats. Talk to other Wayfarer sailors and look at boats at a club, you will find a wide range of locations.

Also, I suggest you have alook on the Wayfarer Institute of Technology (linked from this site’s home page) for a wealth of advice and experiences. I searched on Google for images of Wayfarer Dinghies and found the attached image showing both a fixed fairlead and sliding fairleads on the side decks of a Mk 2.

I have followed the advice of others on this forum and fixed the tracks on the front seats. Without doubt, positioned there the sheeting angle is tighter than if they were on the side decks, but the seats become unuseable as there does not appear to a be a way to recess them out of the way.

Uncle Al on the WIT website says that he has not moved the fairlead away from the rear end of the outer slat of the side seat on his woodie “Shades” for ages, and rather than go to the expense of buying a track and sliding fairleads (£130 plus), you might consider a fixed fairlead and cleat in that location.

Thanks very much. We dont intend to race and would rather maximise the seating. I suspect we will go for the side decks. I shall take a look at some other examples before taking a drill to the deck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    Even as a cruiser I went for seat fixing. The increase in efficiency is worth the slight loss of seat functionality.
    Matt

admin

From the point of view of righting a capsized boat, the fixing of the jib tracks on the seat does give me some concerns. Despite my being more of a cruiser than a racer, I too have fixed the tracks on the seats, in fact on a hardwood batten that sits between the slats and bolted through; I am happy that the tracks will stay attached to the seats.

I am not so sure about the seats staying attached to the hull. The image above is of a MkII identical to mine where the aft end of the seats are bolted to the thwart but the front end of the seats rest on a ledge formed in the GRP bulkhead. The seats (on my Wayfarer) are held down by round-headed screws that slot into grooves cut into angle (looks like plastic but could be painted aluminium) bolted below the seats. Different Marks have different arrangements.

I am concerned that the pull required to right a capsized hull, if using the sheets as a purchase will be imposed on the fixings that attach the seat to the bulkhead and I am not sure I trust mine under this sort of load. So I will be strengthening the connection between seat and bulkhead with this in mind. If the tracks are fixed on the side decks the righting force would be applied to a much stronger integral part of the hull.

How are the front ends of the seats on your Mk II attached?

Dave Bevan

Hi Andrew.
    Like Mike, I fitted mine between the slats of the front benches on our old MKII. See the following video to give you some idea where I fitted them, about 35seconds in.
    W9543 video
    The tracks were mounted on a hardwood strip the same thickness as the seats to bring them level level with the seat, bolted to two supports under the seats (you can just see this about 47 seconds in). Not too uncomfortable to sit on, and definately gives a better sheeting position than mounting on the side decks. Also means the side decks are clear – you’re more likely to be sitting-out up on the deck anyway!
    Dave

@Mike Summers wrote:

From the point of view of righting a capsized boat, the fixing of the jib tracks on the seat does give me some concerns. Despite my being more of a cruiser than a racer, I too have fixed the tracks on the seats, in fact on a hardwood batten that sits between the slats and bolted through; I am happy that the tracks will stay attached to the seats.

I am not so sure about the seats staying attached to the hull. The image above is of a MkII identical to mine where the aft end of the seats are bolted to the thwart but the front end of the seats rest on a ledge formed in the GRP bulkhead. The seats (on my Wayfarer) are held down by round-headed screws that slot into grooves cut into angle (looks like plastic but could be painted aluminium) bolted below the seats. Different Marks have different arrangements.

I am concerned that the pull required to right a capsized hull, if using the sheets as a purchase will be imposed on the fixings that attach the seat to the bulkhead and I am not sure I trust mine under this sort of load. So I will be strengthening the connection between seat and bulkhead with this in mind. If the tracks are fixed on the side decks the righting force would be applied to a much stronger integral part of the hull.

How are the front ends of the seats on your Mk II attached?

I would think the answer is to rig proper righting lines, attached to the shroud plates.

Many thanks for your replies. Dave, the pictures are just whats needed, I like the method you’ve used to recess the tracks. They actualy answer several other questions I had as well. Mike, my seats appear to be screwed direct into the recess in the bulk head, I don’t think it’s strong enough and I shall be changing it. There’s also no support under the center of the seat which, if used, would put excess strain on the mountings either end. Again I shall be changing this as per Daves pictures. Thanks all again.

annabelbowker
    Participant

Hi, my jib cleats are located on the seats, and I find the boat goes to windward much better this way than having them on the deck.

revoli

Interesting discussion. I have sliding cleats and fairleads on seats in my Mark2 but thus far have always fed the sheet through fairleads on side decks first. Time to experiment with different positions methinks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.