Latest News: Forums Technical Jib furling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR

I have a new, very old Wayfarer and have fitted a Barton furler and swivel – I have since discovered that Barton is not at the top of anyone’s list, but ….. Now I want to make sure I have set it up correctly.

The jib has a wire luff, and I assume they all have the same direction of lay.

1. Which way should the jib be furled round the luff – from the port side (clockwise?) or starboard (anti-clockwise?),

2. Should the furling line be wound clockwise or anti-clockwise (I guess the answer to part 1 dictates this, but my brain can’t grasp all this).

3. Can I just screw a small fairlead into the foredeck near the drum to direct the furling line, or do I have to go underneath to fasten it properly.

4. Can I tension the jib halyard sufficiently without a Highfield lever or Muscle Box (that was a new one on me)?

I know I will have more questions to follow, but would appreciate help getting started.

Thank you,

Gordon Smith, Cardiff Yacht Club

John1162

I have a Plastimo roller reefing genoa and when the reefing line is pulled the line exits from the port side and the drum rotates counter clockwise when viewed from above. I have mine this way round because I wanted to lead the reefing line down the port side of the centreboard case.

A small block or fairlead on the foredeck is fine. If using a bullseye then it needs to be a stainless steel lined one as a plastic one will not last you a season.

You must tension your jib halliyard and can use a highfield lever or muscle box or cascade system.

At the cruising Conference in April you could have the opportunity to see some very well set up boats!

Bob Harland
    Participant

An interesting point about the direction of lay of the wire luff. I cannot see that it would make much odds either way, there will be a turning force on the wire when you furl and unfurl.
    As far as fixing the eye or block on the foredeck I think this should be secured with a backing pad. There is some advice on doing this courtesy of Colin Parkstone;
    http://wayfarer.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618

Thank you for the replies

Dave Bevan

I agree with Bob that the ‘unwinding’ of the luff wire probably isn’t significant, but it is enough to apply a significant turning force on the forestay stand-off, to the point where the forestay fouls in the sail as we try to furl. This may be a result of cheeper furler, rather than the wire.
    Having said all that, I don’t know which is the right way either!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.