Latest News: Forums Technical jib fouling forestay – to prevent ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Tonym

does anybody have any experience or knowledge of devices to fit to the forestay so as to prevent the jib fouling on the forestay when i use the furling gear ?

where can I get such a device ?

Thanks

If you put a disc, about the size of a CD (indeed an old CD might work) at the top of the jib where it connects to the halyard then it will keep the jib and forestay clear of each other.

Alternatively, I have seen instances where people take the forestay back to the mast once the foresail is up. Obviously this is not not good if you need to drop the foresail for any reason, or if the halyard breaks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use a plastic triangle (about 5 inch sides) made out of an old car number plate with jib hanks screwed to each corner, two corners on the jib halyard, one on the forestay. The device slides up as you hoist the jib. I got a drawing possibly off the Wanderer website. It is also pictured in the Wayfarer handbook, (with mention of the addition of a bit of shock cord to keep it right at the top, not sure how that bit fits).

I find it helps to slacken the halyard tension a bit before furling so that the corresponding increase in forestay tension helps keep them apart. Have to say it works fairly well but sometimes crew required to re-do it after adjusting halyard tension. cheers Dave

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

As a supplement to Dave’s method I highly recommend modifying the forestay to lead it back to the rear of the foredeck. This enables you to tension (or slacken) the forestay at will, meaning that there’s no need to release the halyard. Additionally it really comes into its own when raising or lowering the mast, making this a really simple and quick job, even on your own.

The modification is described on page 41 of the Wayfarer Book (4th ed.) and requires two small pulley blocks, one with becket. You may need to have the wire part of the forestay shortened by a few inches, and depending on your furler and bow fitting you may need to modify the attachment arrangements for the furler and the forestay (if you haven’t already had to) to create enough fore/aft separation between the two; a stay adjuster fixed horizontally (fore/aft) onto the bow fitting should do the trick, allowing you to move the furler back a tad and the forestay forward to clear the drum of the furler. A rope tail leads from the becket via the forestay block and becket block (attached to bow fitting) to a cleat (near the mast?), giving a 2:1 ratio. Easier to do than to describe!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.